Help me out

baldwin471
baldwin471 Posts: 366
edited August 2012 in Workshop
Getting very frustrated. Trying to remove my Time First RXS pedals and can't for the life of me get them out. I have a 15mm pedal wrench, i thought the vast majority of pedals had a 15mm thread. Obviously not. I measured it to 20mm and even then it is round, so i don't know how i would get a wrench on it anyway. Plus i've googled and no-one seems to make a 20mm wrench anyway. Someone said on another forum (Google searched) that with the Time Carbon pedals you have to use an allen key but the size of the hole is like 8mm. I apologise in advance if i'm being dopey. But i'm very stressed out at the moment and this is just the tip of the pissing iceberg.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Get an 8mm Allen key then, job done.
  • baldwin471
    There is nothing for the Allen key to grip though. The inside of the spindle is just hollow and round.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I'm not sure if I fully understand... Can you post photos? At the end of the pedal axle/spindle on the inside of the cranks you should be able to fit an allen key so if it's hollow then it sounds like something very odd is going on.
  • baldwin471
    nweststeyn wrote:
    I'm not sure if I fully understand... Can you post photos? At the end of the pedal axle/spindle on the inside of the cranks you should be able to fit an allen key so if it's hollow then it sounds like something very odd is going on.

Yeah it is hollow. Very annoying. The LBS put them on, i can't be arsed forking out more money for them to take them out. It looks like the inside of the spindle is f***ed. Looks like when they were put in the wrong size key was used and now it's almost completely round. Still a bit of an odd design anyway, why not just use a 15mm nut like everyone else?
  • nweststeyn
    Not everyone uses the 15mm spanner method - Look Keos for example also take allen keys on the end of the spindle too. If the ends are rounded you may have a problem... how long ago did the bike shop fit them?
  • baldwin471
    nweststeyn wrote:
    Not everyone uses the 15mm spanner method - Look Keos for example also take allen keys on the end of the spindle too. If the ends are rounded you may have a problem... how long ago did the bike shop fit them?

God, about 6 months ago now. Can't see any way of getting these damn things out.
  • nweststeyn
    Most options would result in the pedals being ruined like welding an allen key to the end of the axle... If you can figure out a way then cutting a straight groove into the head would allow you to turn it using a large flathead screwdriver.
  • nweststeyn
    Also, have you tried using a different allen key? A new one can sometimes work even when the head seams stripped... Or try a slightly larger key or a Torx bit - the star shape may be able to grip it enough for you to get the thing moving.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,527
    try a 6mm allen key into the hole in the axle
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • nweststeyn
    and a photo so we can bang our collective heads together.