Nine Elms HGV death trap lane

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
I got the following back from TFL regarding the dangerous stretch of bus lane that allows HGVs into it on Nince Elms nr Vauxhall. Nothing really of interest but at least they replied. Hopefully it may have some minuscule effect on policy in the future.

Re: Nine Elms road - Cycle Safety

Thank you for your communication regarding cycle safety and Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGV’s) using the east bound bus lane on Nine Elms.

HGV’s are permitted to use the bus lane especially due to the number of HGV traffic and deliveries in the area including the Royal Mail Centre and Covent Garden Market.

Transport for London (TfL) provides driver training and we will continue to work closely with Wandsworth council in promoting training for HGV drivers. This will equip drivers with the knowledge and skills needed to ride safely on the lanes.

With regards to the construction on Nine Elms and increased HGVs in the area, production of construction logistics plans is a planning condition when granting planning permission. The plans are submitted by a developer and outline control measures to be put in place to ensure a safer operation. These include the use of consolidation to minimise trips, delivery scheduling to avoid or reduce deliveries during the peak period, approved access/egress routes, driver training and vehicle safety features.

I thank you once again for your correspondence and hope that the above is of interest to you. If there is any other matter which I can assist you with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    edited August 2012
    I've been involved with the preparation of one of these construction traffic management plans*. A lot of work goes into putting them together; how carefully they are checked by planning officers at the application stage, let alone once the project is actually up and running is another matter.

*Not related to the road in question I hasten to add.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    why continue with the pretence of calling it a bus lane if HGVs can use it. might as well stop pretending and paint the whole thing black. sounds like a road to avoid to me
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem