How? How is this possible??

CambsNewbie
CambsNewbie Posts: 564
edited August 2012 in Road general
How can I ride a 30km loop where at no point is the wind behind me? How? I just don't understand?

I can put up with the wind either head-on or coming across me in the understanding that at some point it will be behind me. Fair is fair. But no, mother nature laughs in my (sweaty and red) face and says no, no easy stretch for you, going to make you work all the way!

And can anyone else in Cambridgeshire tell me why it is ALWAYS windy? I seriously can't remember my last ride when it wasn't windy.

Comments

• Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    Well in fairness, from my recollection of Cambridgeshire, there's not an awful lot to slow it down. :D
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    you are moving through the air, therfore you can feel your face and leading surface cutting through the air

if there was a wind behind you and it matched your road speed your wind speed would be zero (no head wind)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    A triangular circuit - first head 10 miles into the wind - then turn 120° right - its a cross wind - true wind is slightly behind, but because you're moving forward the wind feels like it is more across you ...
    10 miles later turn 120° right again - heading back to the start - it's the same as the previous 10 miles - cross wind ... and 10 miles later you're at the start having not had any real wind assistance ...
    It's a bum isn't it!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Put another way, you only feel tail wind when its behind you and the wind speed is higher than bike speed.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • McWulf
    McWulf Posts: 19
    estampida wrote:
    you are moving through the air, therfore you can feel your face and leading surface cutting through the air

if there was a wind behind you and it matched your road speed your wind speed would be zero (no head wind)

Either that or sod's law has you going clockwise around an anti-cyclone.
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    I thought that was one of the fundamental laws of cycling: no matter what direction you ride, if there's wind it will always be against you.

I'm sure the wind does it on purpose
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I came up with a theory that, the wind changes direction by 180 degrees every nine hours.
    Coincidence would have it, that, that is the same time between arriving at, and leaving work
  • ELPTX51
    ELPTX51 Posts: 8
    adm1 wrote:
    I thought that was one of the fundamental laws of cycling: no matter what direction you ride, if there's wind it will always be against you.

^^^^^ I'm with adm1 on this one!
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    It's rare, but occasionally the wind can be with you young Jedi's. On a recent cycle trip from Bath to Bicester cross country on fully loaded tourers the enemy and I had a significant north easterly tail wind for the entire 90 miles, because we had all the luggage on the back we were practically pushed home all the way. It was fab. I bet it never happens again.

In fact yesterday on a 30 miler, the last ten miles, I wanted throw the feckin thing in a ditch and call a cab!
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    p9uma wrote:
    It's rare, but occasionally the wind can be with you young Jedi's. On a recent cycle trip from Bath to Bicester cross country on fully loaded tourers the enemy and I had a significant north easterly tail wind for the entire 90 miles, because we had all the luggage on the back we were practically pushed home all the way. It was fab. I bet it never happens again.

I rode from Leeds to Scarborough with a tailwind and averaged a good 20mph all the way for 110 miles on a slightly heavy tourer. It's always worth having a plan for a lazy, feckless, cheaty east or westbound route that you can ride with a strong tailwind and get the train back. You deserve it! 8)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Wrong sport ... Should have taken up sailing x
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    adm1 wrote:

+1 You are absolutely correct. Odd though, because I thought everyone knew this.