Paralympic crash driver jailed

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,595
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-19420354

Wouldn't normally post this, but was genuinely surprised about the sentence.

18 months prison - fair enough - probably what the law allows.

But the breakdown of the sentence was what struck me.

15 months for the accident. An extra 3 for failing to stop.

Surely failing to stop is the worst bit of all this? I mean, fair enough, you have an accident. That's made plenty plenty worse if you're drink driving. 15 months? Makes sense. But failing to stop is beyond the pale - for me anyway.

Comments

• the farmer does not apear to come out of this well, does apear to be something of a (chose your word)
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-19420354

Wouldn't normally post this, but was genuinely surprised about the sentence.

18 months prison - fair enough - probably what the law allows.

But the breakdown of the sentence was what struck me.

15 months for the accident. An extra 3 for failing to stop.

Surely failing to stop is the worst bit of all this? I mean, fair enough, you have an accident. That's made plenty plenty worse if you're drink driving. 15 months? Makes sense. But failing to stop is beyond the pale - for me anyway.

I think it was the dangerous driving that got him the 15 months....that and being drunk...accident waiting to happen, glad the cyclist is recovering well, though missing this Olympics sucks !
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    "Edward Howell Adams, 60, was convicted of dangerous driving after he hit Simon Richardson 26m (85ft) into the air on the A48 near Bridgend last August."

Really? 85 feet? Think the BBC sub editors missed that one.
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Maybe he was hit forwards by 85 feet?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Edward Howell Adams denied dangerous driving in August 2011 but admitted drink-driving. :? What?

I think if a person is guilty of drink-driving it should automatically make them guilty of dangerous driving. If it doesn't then the law needs changing. Alcohol + Driving = Dangerous. This moron drank his first whiskey at 6am!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Edward Howell Adams denied dangerous driving in August 2011 but admitted drink-driving. :? What?

I think if a person is guilty of drink-driving it should automatically make them guilty of dangerous driving. If it doesn't then the law needs changing. Alcohol + Driving = Dangerous. This moron drank his first whiskey at 6am!

I think I should make up the laws too.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228

I think I should make up the laws too.

I think there's a law against that.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201

Spot on. The 'failing to stop' law seems to me to have been put in place with minor shunts in mind - fair enough. In a case where serious injury has been dealt, however, it shows something far worse - a willingness to potentially let someone die to avoid an insurance hike/other minor punishment. That changes mere carelessness into recklessness at the very least, and pretty close to intent.