chains

orangepip
orangepip Posts: 219
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Ok so having snapped my ultegra 6700 chain this morning I'm keen to know what others ride as I need a new one.

I've used SRAM with their powerlink on my MTB are they any good in road variants? Any other suggestions?

thanks

Comments

• ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I Use 7900 dura ace with kmc link (which can be a pain, but not after you've invested in remover pliers).

I'd recommend it anyday

ps, dirt cheap on ebay
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    For me it has to be the KMC chains. My preference is for the X10L (or now X9Ls as I have sold my one 10 speed so have just three 9 speed road bikes) but the X10SL is slightly less weight for a few quid more if you want to spend the extra. Personally, I don't mind the weight penalty given the difference in money.

The chains come with a Missing Link included for easy cleaning, etc. As above though, the pliers don't half make undoing the chain easier. Powerlinks for 10 speeds can only be used once.
  • shinsplint
    shinsplint Posts: 565
    I also snapped my Ultegra chain recently, and went for a KMC X10L, easy enough to fit and remove, which is so much better for cleaning ! Can't fault it so far, runs just as smooth as the Shimano if not smoother.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I replaced my dura ace chain with a kmc x10sl. It has lasted much longer than I have any reason to expect and it remains remarkably smooth in action compared with a sram chain on another bike. No problem recommending them to you.

Peter