What to wear in the cold?

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
edited September 2012 in Road general
I'm starting to feel the cold on my rides, wearing only padded shorts and short sleeve jersey, and it's only going to get colder. I only started wearing proper gear in the last 2 weeks so am new to it all. What should I be wearing in the autumn and winter? Do most wear a base layer or go for a gilet, or windproof/waterproof jacket to cut out the wind?

Comments

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    As it gets colder generally more layers and from shorts and short sleeves to bib longs and long sleeves. Then the woollie boollie socks come out of the drawer and overshoes that keep the feet drier in the wet but also warmer when the temp really drops. Fingerless gloves move to full finger gloves, I have a skull cap too for under the helmet and base layer under the jersey.

That seems to be fine even down to zero temperature and where the wind chill factor takes it down to minus 3 or 4 degrees.

Some trial and error to judge it right but cycling when it's cold is just as fun as when it's warm if you are correctly clothed to keep you warm enough.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    If you plan on riding throughout the Winter, I reckon you will need a decent windproof jacket. I'm sure that some of the "hard" men on here will ride all year round with no more than a long-sleeve jersey, but personally I need a decent windproof jacket to get me through Decemeber - February.

Other than that, good overshoes, socks and gloves are essential. No matter how warm your core is, cold fingers and toes will make your ride a misery.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    edited August 2012
    Double-post
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Lucky barstewards! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    There's loads of combo that work. If I know there's going to be a chilly wind most/whole ride (but still mild ambient temp) I'll wear a windproof baselayer and s/s top. If there's not a cold wind but conditions are changeable I'll generally go with a normal baselayer, s/s top and stick a gilet in my pocket.
    Once it starts to get noticeably colder (like sub 10c) I'll switch to a l/s jersey (I rarely bother with arm warmers these days as I don't really feel the cold there so don't need something that's removable when I warm up). Colder still and it's time for a softshell windproof jacket.
    Overshoes are great, I use Lusso Max Repel ones when it's only a bit of wind chill or some surface water to worry about and switch to neoprene ones for warmth when it gets really cold.
  • CleeRider
    CleeRider Posts: 304
    nferrar wrote:
    There's loads of combo that work. If I know there's going to be a chilly wind most/whole ride (but still mild ambient temp) I'll wear a windproof baselayer and s/s top. If there's not a cold wind but conditions are changeable I'll generally go with a normal baselayer, s/s top and stick a gilet in my pocket.
    Once it starts to get noticeably colder (like sub 10c) I'll switch to a l/s jersey (I rarely bother with arm warmers these days as I don't really feel the cold there so don't need something that's removable when I warm up). Colder still and it's time for a softshell windproof jacket.
    Overshoes are great, I use Lusso Max Repel ones when it's only a bit of wind chill or some surface water to worry about and switch to neoprene ones for warmth when it gets really cold.

When you switch to the long sleeve jersey at sub 10c, do you have a base layer also or isn't that necessary with long sleeve jerseys? Are they thicker than short sleeved ones?
  • The mention of cold weather means the summer is coming to an end ,dam it.
  • Kingy 123 wrote:
    The mention of cold weather means the summer is coming to an end ,dam it.

Did it ever begin? :D
  • calmx5
    calmx5 Posts: 230
    There are many different layers of kit to wear when it's cold, I'll take you through mine!

A little bit nips - A slightly thicker sleeveless baselayer, a s/s jersey with armwarmers, a pair of bib shorts and slightly thicker or higher socks. Short fingered gloves.

Nips + windchill - A sportswool or merino jersey l/s ,thick-ish s/s baselayer, bib shorts with a nice thick pad + knee warmers or 3/4 bibs. Nice warm socks. Gloves of your choice.

General cold (October, November, start of December) - L/s jersey, Gilet, L/s baselayer, Bibs with knee warmers or 3/4s, nice high thick socks + overshoes OR L/s baselayer, s/s jersey, Wind jacket, 3/4s thick socks, overshoes. Long fingered gloves.

F***ing freezing snow/frost on ground - as above except add winter jacket, full length tights, thick baselayer, thick overshoes, thick socks, maybe a hat under helmet. Thick long fingered gloves.
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    As a result of going out at sunrise this morning, I can tell you that at sub-10c shorts and a flimsy long sleeve jersey are NOT enough to stay even remotely warm!
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Arm and knee or legwarmers are a cheap way of being able to use your normal kit when it gets a bit chillier in Autumn/Spring.

Once it gets really cold though (<5deg C) you'll want proper winter kit; winter gloves, thick baselayers (merino wool), a decent sofshell/windproof jacket, roubaix tights, winter shoes (overshoes don't really cut it), skullcap for under the lid etc.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Come up to Aviemore, we had the first snow of the season at the top of Cairngorm yesterday. After a week here everywhere else will seem tropical :-)

If it's below 6C I put my long jersey on but with a short summer top under it, works wonders and wicks the sweat away too.

Keep you head, hands and feet warm. Get some thin and a set of thicker gloves. Get some neoprene overshoes and a stertchy skull cap for under your helmet that covers your ears and forehead. If the extremities are warm that's half the battle.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Kingy 123 wrote:
    The mention of cold weather means the summer is coming to an end ,dam it.
    I went out yesterday for 20 miles at 6am, and my garmin put the temperature at 4 degrees and the average was 5.7 for the ride. So yes the summer is over....
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I got some bib longs in Lidl recently and they're fleece-lined and everything. Really warm and cosy. Also I use their long-sleeve jersey (which itself is really thin and cold) with an long-sleeved thermal vest underneath. Works perfectly!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • This baselayer is quite useful I use it for sub 15C.
    http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-d ... IS-WIN.htm
    so is the rest of their kit, it is MTB stuff.
  • Be careful not to put too much on because it's cold when you step out of the door. You will naturally warm up and then want to take stuff off. I find the only thing that doesn't warm up very well is my feet so good socks and over shoes is a must. Otherwise good wicking base layers are useful.
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Mix and match is the way to go. Over the last couple of years I have built up a collection of different clothing allowing me to mix and match according to the weather. This includes:

Soft shell windproof (Gore Phantom)
    2nd hand Goretex waterproof,
    Fleece lined bib longs,
    Pertex type wind jacket,
    Windstopper gilet,
    Light fleece L/S jeresey with full zip,
    Neoprene overshoes,
    Winter gloves,
    Thin full ginger gloves,
    Mitts,
    Skull cap.

More recently I have added winter arm and leg warmers but I have yet to use them.

The most useful/effective?

Overshoes - before these my toes would turn to ice.

Gilet - allows me to keep s/s jerseys going into late Sept.

The downside of this collection is that non of it matches colourwise and I tend to look like a Harlequin!!