Wheel Upgrade????

Weeman1973
Weeman1973 Posts: 471
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
I have recently bought a used Planet X Nanolight Road Bike (fantastic Team Guru colours in light Blue with Daisy print etc :shock: ) which has got some rather dubious wheels on currently in something called Alesa (made in Belgium) with Suntour hubs. They look tired and definitely don't run true, so am looking to upgrade to something a little better - not silly money, maybe something used for about £150 so what would you all suggest?

The other issue I have is that it seems to be running a rather strange gearing combination with only a 7 speed cassette (SRAM) on the rear. The rest of the groupset is SRAM Rival rear mech, SRAM Rival shifters / brake levers (carbon), SRAM Red front mech and a SRAM Apex chainset (50/34t 10SPD). If I want to replace the 7 speed cassette with a regular 10 speed version with the new wheels, will I need to change anything else such as rear mech or shifters or should the Rival groupset be compatible with 10 speed cassettes - I understand they will need some 'jiggery pokery' which my LBS may help with to ensure it all works fine, but if any one could steer a noob in the right direction to start with, I would really appreciate it (big cheers so far to Gazzaputt for your help & hopefully will be able to get your Mavic's!)

Comments

• dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    You should have no issues lobbing a 10spd cassette on to a newer set of wheels and then getting the rear mech adjusted.

Look here for used wheelshttp://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40091 for £150 you should be able to get something decent, otherwise around that price point you should be able to get some new Aksiums or Fulcrum 7's with a strong wind and alignment of your google-fu
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • Weeman1973
    Weeman1973 Posts: 471
    Dodgerdog wrote:
    You should have no issues lobbing a 10spd cassette on to a newer set of wheels and then getting the rear mech adjusted.

Look here for used wheelshttp://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40091 for £150 you should be able to get something decent, otherwise around that price point you should be able to get some new Aksiums or Fulcrum 7's with a strong wind and alignment of your google-fu
    Cheers - I think I have sorted my wheel dilemma thanks to Gazzaputt and will be receiving the Mavics complete with SRAM 10 speed cassette early next week. I understand I will need to have my rear mech adjusted accordingly but will I need a different size chain as I am moving from a 7 speed rear cassette to a 10 speed?
  • Buy a new chain anyway. It sems that the bike you have bought is using quite old stuff so no doubt thechain will be worn. Any 10 speed chain will be ok.
  • blackhands wrote:
    Buy a new chain anyway. It sems that the bike you have bought is using quite old stuff so no doubt thechain will be worn. Any 10 speed chain will be ok.

You need to learn to spell ;-)

Not nice is it?

:twisted:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I paid 110 for a used set of Ultegra wheels on ebay and they're fantastic. Totally silent freehub and only about 1650g.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!