Boardman Team FS

zanush
zanush Posts: 161
edited October 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Picked up my team fs up today...basic setup seems to be set up ok but ya never know if anything is going to come loose lol.
It is wierd how a 2x10 gear setup feels plus being sram rather than shimano but i'm sure i'll get used to it, only downside at the mo is that i cannie really set the shocks up seeing as i haven't got a shock pump :? (plus i don't really know how to set it up properly anyway lol)
sdc10522hk.jpg
sdc10519.jpg
sdc10520q.jpg
sdc10518l.jpg
sdc10517x.jpg
Boardman Fs Team
Felt F95

Comments

• Is it new? Should have got a shock pump with it!
  • zanush
    Aye it's new but they didn't say anything about a shock pump...but it is halfords so say no more lol
    I have managed to get 100psi (or thereabouts) into the rear shock with my mini pump ...looks like i'll have to go shopping for a shock pump now, recommendation for a reasonably priced one?
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    i didnt get a shock pump with my new fs most companies dont give you one , i got a beko off fleabay £14 delivered and a good bit of kit.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • zanush
    tarbot18 wrote:
    i didnt get a shock pump with my new fs most companies dont give you one , i got a beko off fleabay £14 delivered and a good bit of kit.
    Just ordered a Beto MP-035 off fleabay ;) .....i did try to get some air in the forks aswell but ended up releasing what was in there lol.....serves me right for trying without the proper kit :? ...i can wait to ride it anyway as i still have my scott aspect 35 to play with in the meantime.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • Boardman do nice looking frames! I've just sold a boardman team hybrid and the frame quality is awesome, nice looking bike mate! The only thing that would put me off getting another is the shocking service in my local Halfords.
  • zanush
    Cymru-dave wrote:
    Boardman do nice looking frames! I've just sold a boardman team hybrid and the frame quality is awesome, nice looking bike mate! The only thing that would put me off getting another is the shocking service in my local Halfords.
    Aye i'm quite impressed with the quality of the frame and finish but i cannie vouch for the halfords service yet seeing as i've only just bought it lol
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • Kidge004
    Kidge004 Posts: 123
    You "should" have been offered a shock pump on sale as well as a full set up!!

This would happen in my halfords store and we would set the bike up for your needs "shocks included"
  • zanush
    Oh well just goes to show how service differs from store to store lol.....i'll be keeping an eye on it just to make sure nothing comes loose etc lol
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • Paulj123
    Paulj123 Posts: 14
    I bought one of these a few months ago - really like it.

Although do check all the screws are done up tight, my crank came lose as I was riding a trail and nearly caused me to come off :x
  • looks great, but take that mudguard off!
    It never gets easier. You just go faster. – Greg LeMond

The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. - Ann Strong
  • zanush
    looks great, but take that mudguard off!
    :wink: I don't like mudguards but i hate even more getting all the crud up my arse and back (or camelbak when i'm using it)
    Went out in the muddy stuff for a few hours today and it's a nice bike to ride tbh, the 2x10 gear setup takes a bit of getting used to and my only gripe is a bit more thought could have been put into cable routing and i've spotted some cable rub under the bottom bracket. Oh and the white grips will be going sooner or later as they are now decidely more browny-white now lol.
    One oddity i've noticed is in pics on the webby and on the boardman webby show an extra support on the top-tube to seat tube as in the pic below...mine doesn't have that and has got me wondering about the strength in that area or maybe it's just because it's a small frame?.
    boardmanfsteamxl.jpg
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • yea that brace is only missing on smaller frames i would imagine its there for extra support of the seat tube. looks like a little shark fin too. Btw im surprised your store didn't set the shock up for you when you came in to collect it as its part of the collection service, but then Halfords loves to employ anyone on the bikehut these days.
    i once man handled a flame thrower
  • Looking at the pictures, yours looks a small frame in comparison to the above image, hence the lacking brace,

boardman bikes are very nice, wouldn't say no to a full suss one myself!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • zanush
    :wink: I had it in the back of my mind that it was prolly due to it being a small frame but i always like to re-assure myself lol. Other than the shocks having virtualy no air in them when i picked it up and a dodgy cable routing issue under the bottom bracket(now sorted) i would say the bikehut experience is what i was expecting tbh and nothing has fallen off/come loose so far(prolly jinxed myself now).
    I've been out on it a few times now and i'm getting used to the 2x10 setup now, the sram gears have a very "industrial" feel to them compared to shimano stuff. Still tweaking the forks and shocks but i'm more than happy with it and now wish i'd gone full suss in the first place :oops: but having said that i wasn't sure if i was going to like being a mud rat and threading my way through the tree's.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • zanush
    Oh well looks like i jinxed myself :roll: was out around macclesfield forest area and the bottom bracket decided to commit hari-kari. It's now back at halfords waiting for a new bb :/
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • How are you finding it so far? I got mine in small in August. Apart from clicking from forks (now rectified) Its the best bike I've ever ridden
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • zanush
    Apart from the botom bracket incident it's the best bike i've had so far. I mainly use it on trail's but it's still a nice ride on the road and reasonably quick. I've now changed the seat for a charge spoon and replaced the muddy white grips for some green ones which just happen to match the green on the frame :o
    Only one issue atm and that's the rear brake has gone a little spongey and looks like a faff to sort out seeing as i will have to get a bleed kit for the elixirs. Just wondering if it's a) worthwhile having the free 6 week service at halfords and mentioning it to them b) just get the kit and have a go myself or c) or get a lbs to do it.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • The first service is pretty much based on checking gear indexing due to cable stretch and checking all the bolts are tight, no play in the wheels, - All very easy to do yourself!!
    Brake bleed isn't too tricy but drop it in the lbs, will come back spot on with Anyluck!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • aguire
    aguire Posts: 2
    Hi.Having a bleed kit its good idea.Bleeding its easy to do and i find out its needed each time when brake pads need to be replaced.This allow to push pistons back to starting point.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    aguire wrote:
    Hi.Having a bleed kit its good idea.Bleeding its easy to do and i find out its needed each time when brake pads need to be replaced.This allow to push pistons back to starting point.
    if you have to bleed them when you change the pads you must be doing something wrong
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Agreed, no need to bleed every change of pads, yes its easier to undo the nipple a little and push the pisons in, But! They should push back in fine,
    Only need to bleed if air has got in some how,!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Bleed kits can be had from ebay, quite cheap e.g. here

Unfortunately it sounds like another case of a crap factory bleed by Avid. Give it a bleed and it should be fine - the Avid hardware always seems reasonably well made to me. Its just a shame their factory bleeds have a terrible rep.

Nice bike, btw :D
  • zanush
    Bleed kits can be had from ebay, quite cheap e.g. here
    Unfortunately it sounds like another case of a crap factory bleed by Avid. Give it a bleed and it should be fine - the Avid hardware always seems reasonably well made to me. Its just a shame their factory bleeds have a terrible rep.
    Nice bike, btw :D

Just ordered one from the ebay link ;)
    I could prolly make a bodge up kit up with syringes etc from work but might aswell get a premade kit rather than faffing about myself lol
    I'm liking the bike more and more, much better now i've changed the saddle and grips ;)
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • aguire
    aguire Posts: 2
    Guys are right about bleeding,i go to far (each time),just happen to me after change the pads i had no room for rotor and i was not able to push pistons back.I was trying different brands of pads and maybe they was thicker.Nevermind.Its good to have tools and be able to do maintenance if needed.I have boardman ht 2010 model and since than i had to replace few bits(bb,wheel bearings,wheel rims,chainrings,etc).I am happy with breaks and i had no problems with fork so far.I wish you no problems with your bike and lots of fun.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    Have you changed your tyres yet? I only reason ask as I have the small frame and have read on various reviews that the bike can take bigger tyres.
    Last Sunday I went out and it felt like the bike was on Ice, slipping and skipping on the gloopy mud. This really caught me out as the tyres in the dry are excellent.
    I have rubber queens 2.2 on my Giant and spent 30mins changing the tyres over but the back wheel wouldnt turn as it was grating on the chain stays.
    If you have changed, what to?
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • zanush
    I'm still using the original tyres (mountain Kings 2.2), definitely not the best in sloppy mud but i've just dropped the pressure down a bit and i'll just get some different ones when these need replacing. It does look like there will be some restriction as to what tyres will fit though due to frame clearance as you have found out.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95