FSA Mega Exo BB-7000

tboy823
tboy823 Posts: 102
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have one of the above BB's on my Boardman Team FS.

I stripped it down to give it a good clean the other day and the non drive side bearing is shot.

I've repacked it with grease and it's OK for now, but long term, should I

Buy an exact replacement part? (CRC £29.99)
Just buy a new set of bearings - they are 24377-2RS01, where's they best place to source these please??
Change to something different/better - if so, what should i be looking for as a replacement??

thanks
Boardman Team FS 2011

Never let your computer know you're in a hurry.

Comments

• UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    These BB's don't seem to last two minuets with me, I stripped mine down like you, de-greased then re-greased, did this multiple times and got another years usage out of it before one side totally seized.

I then bought a Deore BB, and using a socket set of the same size I tapped the bearings out from the threaded side, then pressed these into my fsa cups, worked fine, but the seals don't fit as snug and only lasted 6 months.

A month ago I bought another Deore BB but this time I just fitted the whole BB, it fits my FSA 2009 Moto chaninset but it did move the chain line slightly so I had to adjust my gears.

Deore BB's are £13 v the FSA @ £30, a total rip off IMO
  • So how's the FSA/Deore combo going?

The reason I ask is that my 'dale Synapse has an FSA Omega Chainset and MegaExo BB and whilst I've eeked just over a year out of the BB it started to get noisey after about 2 months and has been stripped and greased about three times to keep it quiet. I like the cranks and the rings are still ok but the price of FSA BBs is a real discouragement from keeping them.
  • Also, I just searched the SKF bearing catalogue and (just in case anyone was considering an overhaul) it isn't a standard bearing. 61805 (25x37x7mm) bearings are closest (71805 for angular contact precision bearing) and are available in a variety of sealing options but have a 25mm bore so no good without sleeving which is just hassle.
  • Yeah so far so good & still nice & smooth, I have read that they don't fit all FSA chainsets though, I think it's the axle size, mine just fits with the help of a rubber mallet.

If you do go for it this is a cracking buy
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:274227
  • Tell me about it, mines a 19mm axle so its a no go. How can one standard have two completely different axle diameters?
  • Bit of a thread resurrection!

Have stripped down my FS Team for a good clean after winter too, and it appears the non drive side bearing has seized solid...

After a bit of Googling, I'm still completely confused about BBs! Seen a few things saying the FSA cranks might not fit a non-FSA BB... so could someone point me to a replacement BB so I don't have to spend £40 on another FSA (it's already been replaced once under warranty...). Would the Shimano from Rose Bikes be ok? Any others?
  • After a bit of Googling, I'm still completely confused about BBs! Seen a few things saying the FSA cranks might not fit a non-FSA BB... so could someone point me to a replacement BB so I don't have to spend £40 on another FSA (it's already been replaced once under warranty...). Would the Shimano from Rose Bikes be ok? Any others?

Any 24mm BB should work. Shimano would be ok. Hope make a fancy one. Note, the FSA BB uses two conical plastic washers, only for spacing/preload. Don't transfer those to the Shimano (or whatever) BB.

Personally I'd try Katec on ebay, they seem to stock most bike bearings http://stores.ebay.co.uk/KaTec-Bikes
  • Don't really want to mess around banging bearings in and out, so looks like Shimano XTR's the one to go for. then Thanks! :)
  • In case anyone was wondering: The Shimano BB arrived today, and I managed to get the FSA cranks installed after a few good smacks with a block of wood and a hammer... :D