New cassette?

Bigchris
Bigchris Posts: 131
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I busted my crank the other day and am in the process of replacing the whole crank. I am also replacing the old chain, do i need to replace the cassette ontop of that?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Depends on the chains wear. But most probably yes.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716

+1
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    Greer_ wrote:

+1

If your gonna be a bear.... be a grizzly .........!! change it!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Bigchris
    Waiting on a brand new chain, do you mean cassette?
  • Chunkers1980
    I mean if your old chain is nailed beyond the wear limit, it will have ruined your cassette, so a new chain on a worn cassette will mean slippage.
  • Bigchris
    Ahhhh I see sorry. Take it that means I need some sort of tool to check the wear?
  • Chunkers1980
    Nope, if the new chain slips on old cassette then you need a new cassette. Once fitted would be a good idea to get a chain wear tool, so you change the chain before it does damage to the rest of the drive train
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10219

But i'd still recommend a new cassette, as the chain wears, the cassette wears at the same rate as the chain, therefore the new chain won't mesh properly with the old cassette.
  • Bigchris
    cheers.

I find my crank slipping recently, but not the cassette from what I've noticed. The chain was relatively new, the only reason in changing it is because im changing the crank.

I find that a majority of time in the smallest two cogs, the rest id expect are pretty much new. I suppose i could try stay away from them cogs?

I'm being a tight fisted c%%t, I really can't afford to replace the cassette ontop of the rest.
  • Chunkers1980
    So try it and see, people love to recommend you spend your money.