vivid 5.1 help

eightdigitword
eightdigitword Posts: 20
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a Rock shox vivid 5.1 2010 'A' tune shock. I believe i have the correct spring (350lb) for my weight (90-95kg), i currently have the correct sag (25%) with this set up. my bike (scott voltage FR) has a rear wheel travel of 180mm, with 76mm shock stroke the leverage ratio is 2.37. My issue is that i feel that i am going through my travel too quickly on aggressive runs. should i be using a heavier spring or changing up to a 'B' tune shim stack? Rock shox recommends Tune A: for 2.0-2.4 and Tune 'B' a leverage Ratio and 2.4 - 2.85.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    As a rule of thumb, use sring rate and preload to control how much travel you use, and damping to control how you use it. When you say too quicky - is that that the bike is bouncy, or continously bottomed out?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thanks for the response,

Its not bouncy, it tracks well over big and small bumps, its set for low pedal bob and sits well in berms. I rarely feel the sensation of it bottoming out during drops/big hits but at the end of some tame runs I'll see that at some point it has bottomed out. Over all the shock feels excellent but i feel like it should take more effort to get it to the end of its travel.
  • benpinnick
    Sounds like a too soft spring - ratio effects weight required for the spring - where did you get the spring weight from? Is it stock RS weights or custom for the bike? I think going up a compression tune will make the shock feel harsh. What I think you need is a heavier spring, with less preload. If you did change the spring you should consider reducing the LS compression to compensate, otherwise it will feel less sensitive over the smaller stuff.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • That all makes sense.

The shock is an oem unit off a new Makula and came with a 350lb spring fitted. Looking at online (TF) spring calcs they all recommend a 350 for my weight on a 180mm travel bike with 76mm stroke (Voltage has a single pivot) I left the spring on as it seemed to be the recommended size.

I'll try a bigger spring, should i go for a 400? too much?

Thanks again for the advice, its confirmed what i had suspected.
  • benpinnick
    Its a bit of a hobson's choice IIRC. You'll struggle to get a 375 spring, so yeah, 400lbs and see how you go. You're close to the limit on the 350 spring (I did the calc on TF) and if you want a firmer ride, thats the way to go I think.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • 400lb ordered. will see how i get on.

Cheers.