this years crush

mr joey
mr joey Posts: 427
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
for people who are interested in this years orange crush,just spoke to a guy at orange and informed me that it will be available at end of september and will retail at £1200 £300 lower than last years BUT their downgrading on what i think is the most important things forks and brakes and a few other things wich is a shame i think and its gonna be matt black wich isn"t exciting either :(

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yippee?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    I'd be happier if they brought the manufacturing of this frame home, to the UK, such as other Orange models....rather than Taiwan!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Adotparker wrote:
    I'd be happier if they brought the manufacturing of this frame home, to the UK, such as other Orange models....rather than Taiwan!
    So the price would be higher and the quality lower.

Good thinking batman.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Adotparker wrote:

To be fair, it's probably a better frame for being made in Taiwan - economies of scale at the Asian factories mean the manufacturer can apply modern tech on the tubes, like butting and hydroforming - which Orange just haven't got the capital to invest in at home. Reduced labour rates, material economies and the availablity of appropriate tooling also mean lower costs too.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Adotparker wrote:

That would definitely make it more expensive but not definitely make it any better.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The only Orange bikes I want are ones which aren't made in the UK, the Blood & the P7. The Five, Patriot & 224/322 just aren't as good as they could be if they were made using modern manufacturing techniques and modern suspension designs.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    What size wheels will it have?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    mr joey wrote:
    standard.

Will that be standard 26", standard 27.5" or standard 29"?
    There are no standards. for wheels, headsets, bottom brackets, chain guide tabs, axles, handle bar diameters or anything where it would make sense to have standards for.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    mr joey wrote:
    standard.

Will that be standard 26", standard 27.5" or standard 29"?
    There are no standards. for wheels, headsets, bottom brackets, chain guide tabs, axles, handle bar diameters or anything where it would make sense to have standards for.
    Lots of standards, just not one standard is what I presume you meant to say?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    nicklouse wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:

Good thinking batman.

Why lower quality?
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You've missed the welding on the Forth Bridge (or was that an Orange 5 swingarm?)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Adotparker wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:

Good thinking batman.

Why lower quality?
    Because the taiwanese frame quality is excellent, most of it is machine welded (cheaper, more reliable, more predictable) and the frames are made from butted tubes in many cases.

Simply put Orange don't have the volume in the UK to use much in the way of butted tubes (restricted range) nor the volume to justify the infrastructure for the machine welding.

Check out the multipass weld quality on a Boardman frame (merida, Taiwan)

If you have to ask, it suggests you shouldn't be giving suggestions about it - no?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Adotparker wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:

Good thinking batman.

Why lower quality?
    Clank wrote:
    To be fair, it's probably a better frame for being made in Taiwan - economies of scale at the Asian factories mean the manufacturer can apply modern tech on the tubes, like butting and hydroforming - which Orange just haven't got the capital to invest in at home. Reduced labour rates, material economies and the availablity of appropriate tooling also mean lower costs too.

Edited for brevity and a desire not to annoy anyone unecessarily.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    just had a look at this years crush on orange website and as told downgrade forks and brakes mechs etc but can pay the extra £130 or £230 for fox 32s as it comes with sektors on it not that impressed!
  • The Rookie
    Why? What do you expect? Everyones bikes are losing spec and/or gaining price as the cost of the imported parts is going up.

Besides we had many years of year on year effective cost reduction/quality improvement and it was never going to last forever, todays £500-600 bike is massively better than a £500 bike of 7-8 years ago (when inflation should have meant the opposite) and now were back to having inflation like every other sales sector.