Exposure Maxx 2 D

bluedoggy
bluedoggy Posts: 284
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
Are these overkill for a commute? I will be riding in dark area's and was thinking of getting one (Friend has one for sale at a bargain price) Was thinking the more light the better?
Wilier cento uno.

Comments

• Depends if you want to blind people or not... I found the Joystick perfectly adequate, think the MAxx d is aimed at MTB really
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah bit overkill for commuting, they are designed for off-road use so the beam is pretty floody as well (i.e. can blind on-coming traffic). That said you could just use them on low on medium power setting and have longer battery life. The dazzling issue can be mitigated by how you position them and some people have made DIY shrouds. If it's a big bargain then probably worth it (although also bear in mind the batteries degrade over time so if it's a few years old it may have far less run time than originally quoted).
  • Bluedoggy wrote:
    Are these overkill for a commute?

Probably, yes. I use a Toro (900 lumens, new model 975) and this is perfect for rural commuting/fast night time riding. Any bigger than this in the Exposure range and you get diminishing advantages expecially size of light unit and long charging time.