Tubeless confused

sofaboy73
sofaboy73 Posts: 574
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Thinking about going tubesless to shed some rotating weight / abilty to run lower pressures with less chance of flats, however a little confused as to what i need to do to achieve what i want, so some help needed please.

current wheels / tyres are hope hoops with stans ZTR flow rims, normal hope rim tape and conti black chilli rubber queens (non UST).

don't want want to have to shell out on the on the UST versions of the rubbers queens (my favoured tyre) due to cost and the extra 130/150 grams seems to negate the point.

so, can i convert the above set up? is it a case of just getting a stans no tubes kit?

if a stans kit, the rim tape in the kit seems to have an intergrated valve. is it easy to remove the tape trailside to replace with a tube if something has gone badly wrong with the tubelss set up? or is there some form of removeable valve set up to make the emergency trailside repair easier?

any help appreaciated

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need the no tubes kit, or the yellow tape, a tubeless valve and sealant.

Don't expect to lose much weight though over a light tube, and lower pressures can cause the tyres to burp air when cornering.
  • sofaboy73
    cheers supersonic. what sort of weight saving are you talking about? normally i'm using tubes at c 125 gr (maxxis ultralight or something similar) and of thought i could knock off c a 1/3 to 1/2 a pound combined across both wheels? or am i saldy misguided?
  • iirc the non ust rubber queens have a pourus sidewall?? a friend tried to do similar on his normal RQ's and couldnt get it to hold due to the tyre,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    cheers supersonic. what sort of weight saving are you talking about? normally i'm using tubes at c 125 gr (maxxis ultralight or something similar) and of thought i could knock off c a 1/3 to 1/2 a pound combined across both wheels? or am i saldy misguided?
    Misguided, the 2 tubes weigh 250g, but the rim strips and fluid will weigh around 60-80g a wheel (I've seen different numbers quoted) so saving would be 90-130g.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • you will struggle to get a non ust rubber queen to seal without putting a lot more sealant than normal into each tyre. the sidewalls are very porrus and refused to seal when i tried it.
  • sofaboy73
    cheers for the replys guys looking like it's increasingly not worth it to try and get the set up i want and you've saved me some money and frustration!
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Those weights above are wrong because in a proper sized MTB tyre you should really be putting 2 full of cups of sealant in, so about 120-140g per wheel.

Even though my tubeless setup is pretty heavy (Stans Flows with Maxxis Minion dual pyls) I no longer puncture, get more grip and it rolls faster so I couldn't care less about the weight