MTB Disc Brakes

freebs
freebs Posts: 199
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am looking to upgrade the disc brakes on my MTB. They are currently Avid Juicy 3's. What discs would be a decent, reasonably priced upgrade? Many thanks, Freebs.

Comments

• freebs
    Job done! Thank - you!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    freebs wrote:
    I am looking to upgrade the disc brakes on my MTB. They are currently Avid Juicy 3's. What discs would be a decent, reasonably priced upgrade? Many thanks, Freebs.
    what do you want to change about your current set up?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • freebs
    I find that I pull them in all the way to the bars. I've tried adjusting the reach but they don't seem to move much. They also seem to be a bit spongy. I'm more used to road callipers which I can service! I've given the Juicy's quite a bit of use but if I could service them cheaply it would help. I've seen mates bikes with better reach and they just 'feel' better modulated (although once mine are there I've had no probs with the power).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • freebs
    Lastly, the levers don't spring back to position. Stupid question of the day, but I guess this is just a case of oiling the pivot?! Don't ride the MTB much during the summer!!
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    +1 for Deore. Put the old ones on eBay tomorrow evening and never think about them again
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's a rear one, you'll still need a front.
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a48787 ... front.html

And they'll be euro style, back to front so you need to swap the hoses over.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    cooldad wrote:
    That's a rear one, you'll still need a front.
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a48787 ... front.html

And they'll be euro style, back to front so you need to swap the hoses over.

Good way to learn to bleed them though..and shimano brakes are a piece of p1ss to bleed.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    But if you are going to learn to bleed those brakes by swapping the hoses you could just learn to bleed the ones you have.

I have Juicy 3's (4's actually but they are 3's made specifically for Spesh) on my Big Hit and they work fine. I have Shimano Deore on my XC bike and they are good too. I prefer the Juicy's as they are less powerful but better modulated so I can apply and brake a bit for a corner rather than the deores which are either on or off and on is like dropping a sea anchor out of my camelback into the trail.

NBo body rates the Juicy's but personally I think they are great (when I can stop them squealing they are even better).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • starbuck
    starbuck Posts: 256
    I recently upgraded my deores to XT's (my deores are now happily on my hybrid). I needed to swap the hoses over as I got them from rosebikes. Didn't need to bleed them and was simple to do and a good way to learn mroe about hydro brakes (changing hose lengths, and refilling/bleeding my deores on my hydro). I also picked up a shimano bleed set from ebay which comes with everything for a few bleeds.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I recently fitted deore m596 s on my bike and they are awesome brakes feel as powerful as my mates xt s and cost me £50 each end off fleabay.
    You wont need to bleed them fully if your swapping or cutting hoses unless you really fick it up, just loosen bleed screw on top cap after refitting hose and pump brake then retighten screw should be fine mine have been.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • freebs
    Thank - you all. Will try and bleed what I've got first as have had no problems other than those mentioned up to now. If that doesn't work, shimano seem to be the way forward!!