Sky Atlantic - British Cycling Road To Glory

Comments

• S'not me. I'm managing plenty less, but I'm not saying it's a lot.

More to the point, how is that of interest in a TV program?

The head of British cycling has a lot of e-mails. No waaay.

I mean, it even finished on that.

Give it a chance.. lots of decent programs have a shaky start.
  • I'd like to have 195 e-mails to answer (so long as they were all from customers.

Unless they were all complaints!

If I had a large number of emails like that, I'd just delete half of them. I only deal with lucky people. :wink:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    FWIW, I agree with Rick. The scenery was pretty, but the content was deathly dull.
  • I'd like to have 195 e-mails to answer (so long as they were all from customers.

Unless they were all complaints!

If I had a large number of emails like that, I'd just delete half of them. I only deal with lucky people. :wink:

That's my returning-from-holiday strategy... Delete everything. If it's important, they'll ask a second time.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Rick Chasey review:

4/10.

Yeah, it was a bit tedious at times if you are into your cycling, but I thought it came across OK

More to the point - I've now changed my hunt for a set of rollers to one of those massive treadmills. I WANT one!
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • afx237vi
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Rick Chasey review:

4/10.

Yeah, it was a bit tedious at times if you are into your cycling, but I thought it came across OK

More to the point - I've now changed my hunt for a set of rollers to one of those massive treadmills. I WANT one!

That looked lethal!
  • I'm just watching the rest of it, with no distractions this time.

You know what, it is rather dull isn't it.

Couple of observations though:

Do DS's get sent on a course teaching them how to drive with no hands on the wheel?

Rod Ellingworth has done very well in life for a chubby ginger.

Yes, that riding your bike on a treadmill thing looks dangerous, what's the point anyway?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • I'm just watching the rest of it, with no distractions this time.

You know what, it is rather dull isn't it.

Couple of observations though:

Do DS's get sent on a course teaching them how to drive with no hands on the wheel?

Yes, that riding your bike on a treadmill thing looks dangerous, what's the point anyway?

Maybe its treadmill skills is a Sky thing - EBH is bloody good at it (go to 1.36mins in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjxVnWVhVhQ
  • afx237vi

I dunno, it seems like a bit of a comedown from when he used to spend time interviewing rock bands on MTV2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL6uf56PjEg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g48hqr4u ... re=related
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
    I miss ginger bloke and MTV2.
  • *Bah* Since when is the Paterberg on the Paris Roubaix course? Maybe that's where Team Sky are going wrong with their preparation?
  • rick_chasey
    *Bah* Since when is the Paterberg on the Paris Roubaix course? Maybe that's where Team Sky are going wrong with their preparation?

I said exactly the same.

Gf's face was priceless when they went from Roubaix to the Tour of Norway.

if ever there was a "what kind of f*cking chipper is this?" face, that was it.
  • It's good to know I'm not the only sad git! Think they had the Koppenberg in there as well.

Would have been really impressive if your Mrs had actually called it a chipper! :D
  • rick_chasey
    So we do see what Sean Yates said to Froome in the car when he attacked on stage 11.

"Froomey, Froomey, I do hope you OK'd that with Bradely"
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    So we do see what Sean Yates said to Froome in the car when he attacked on stage 11.

Froome should have said i cant understand your mumbling try again !!!

Prob been asked, Why is Sean Yates working at Sky if he's an ex doper ?? Brailsford said he would NOT have anyone on the team who "dabbled" and i wont even mention Dr Geert Leinders 8)
  • "So Dave, you were in the car talking for quite a while, what was that all about?"

"Oh, we were just discussing what we would be having for dinner..."

:D
  • So we do see what Sean Yates said to Froome in the car when he attacked on stage 11.

Hmmm, I much prefer the version of what Yates said, that did the rounds the day after the stage:

"Froomey, I hope you've f%^&*ing got permission from Bradley for what you're f%^&ing doing"
  • "Froomey, I hope you've f%^&*ing got permission from Bradley for what you're f%^&ing doing"

Which on the stage to Peyragudes, he did!
  • "Froomey, I hope you've f%^&*ing got permission from Bradley for what you're f%^&ing doing"

Which on the stage to Peyragudes, he did!
    :D
  • I got the impression that they weren't too happy with Froome going off like that, and even on the show probably didn't show you all the convos that would have gone on.

The biggest thing for me was that Cav looked miserable as sin and spat his dummy out a few times. Like the reality had sunk in he was a bit part player in a big machine, having come from HTC where he was put on a pedestal.
  • Seemed to me that they had told Wiggins and Froome to sort out what to do between themselves. If Wiggins felt OK and in control then it would be fine to go for the stage, but then seemed to want to control the situation from the team car.
  • greentea wrote:
    I got the impression that they weren't too happy with Froome going off like that, and even on the show probably didn't show you all the convos that would have gone on.

The biggest thing for me was that Cav looked miserable as sin and spat his dummy out a few times. Like the reality had sunk in he was a bit part player in a big machine, having come from HTC where he was put on a pedestal.

I think this business about Cav being used to being the centre of his team's universe, has been really fundamental. Unlike say Wiggo he loves being the centre of attention, being the main guy at the press conferences and all that jazz. Going over to OPQS, gonna be very interesting to see how things go because it is King Tommeke's team, irrespective of how separate they keep their race programmes (though I see fireworks with MSR...).

I like Cav a lot and I'd much rather watch him that any other sprinter but I hope its not going to become an annual angst borefest.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    Seemed to me that they had told Wiggins and Froome to sort out what to do between themselves. If Wiggins felt OK and in control then it would be fine to go for the stage, but then seemed to want to control the situation from the team car.

Yep, certainly shed some light on why Froome and Wiggo looked a bit foolish. I can't understand why they didn't let Froome go that late in the stage - he was no threat to Wiggo overall in such a short distance.
  • Yeah, think that Brailsford/Yates made a mistake there. Froome probably could have caught and passed Valverde for the stage win if he'd be allowed to go for it. He only finished 19 seconds back after all.
  • Pross wrote:
    Seemed to me that they had told Wiggins and Froome to sort out what to do between themselves. If Wiggins felt OK and in control then it would be fine to go for the stage, but then seemed to want to control the situation from the team car.

Yep, certainly shed some light on why Froome and Wiggo looked a bit foolish. I can't understand why they didn't let Froome go that late in the stage - he was no threat to Wiggo overall in such a short distance.

Don't know about the threat to Wiggo from Froome (at that point) but Froome's acceleration distanced Wiggo not just from himself but also from Nibbles and Van Den Broeck with that acceleration. Say Froome had been allowed to go and had taken the others with him - there was still 4k to the summit...
  • Pross wrote:

Don't know about the threat to Wiggo from Froome (at that point) but Froome's acceleration distanced Wiggo not just from himself but also from Nibbles and Van Den Broeck with that acceleration. Say Froome had been allowed to go and had taken the others with him - there was still 4k to the summit...

Which stage are we talking about? The one to La Toussuire or the one to Peyragudes? I thought with the one to Peyragudes Nibali had be dropped before Froome "attacked" for the stage win? Maybe I need to watch it again.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    Which stage are we talking about? The one to La Toussuire or the one to Peyragudes? I thought with the one to Peyragudes Nibali had be dropped before Froome "attacked" for the stage win? Maybe I need to watch it again.

Yep, that is correct. Calling him back on Stage 11 made perfect sense (think he just got a bit carried away after being dropped shortly before) but on Peyragudes it was Wiggo and Froome versus Valverde, they had dropped Nibs just before. The worst case would have been Froome failed to catch Valverde, blew and lost a handful of seconds and Nibs regained contact (and possibly gained a few seconds on Wiggins).
  • Pross wrote:

Rick was quoting the Sky programme showing the action from the car with Yatesy, on Stage 11 - which was La Toussuire - scene of Froomey's first acceleration...

Peyragudes - different story...personally I was shouting at the screen for Froome to go and chase down bloody Valverde...certainly would have been better than Froome prancing around like he did.
  • ...personally I was shouting at the screen for Froome to go and chase down bloody Valverde...

You weren't the only one! :D
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Brailsford cleaning Wiggo's glasses on his t-shirt? I thought they would have a more high-tec solution for that!