Commuting - which bike

nbuuifx
nbuuifx Posts: 302
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Just trying to work out what I should do.

I start next week in my new job and hope to commute 2 or 3 times a week on my bike. The journey isn't far in it's shortest form (5 miles each way) but I hope to make it longer when time allows. As part of my new job I will have less time in the evenings and weekends to get out on the bike hence the desire to commute whenever possible.

I have my road bike which I'm thinking may be better to leave for any evenings and weekends I get (having a go of the local TT etc), it does have eyelets for mudguards etc but I think I'd prefer to leave it as is.

My other bike is a boardman comp MTB, I've used this for the last year or so as a road bike so at the moment it is fitted with 1.3" slick tyres. This bike is heavier but not by a huge amount. I also have a spare pair of wheels which are fitted with my off road tyres which are big chunky nobbly tyres but have the advantage of being puncture proof (tubeless).

So I think I've convinced myself that I should use the MTB to commute, but which wheels? I do like the idea of not getting a puncture although having said that I've not had a puncture with the 1.3" SportContact tyres in the time they've been on - they've done approx 1500miles. (The road bike I've had for about a month has had 2 punctures now :( with gatorskins - although perhaps not the tyres fault)

I've also got flats on the MTB at the moment so walking in to work would be easier from locking the bike up. The MTB also came with front and rear mud guards (plastic things) which I took off straight away but still have so could add back on.

Go on give me your best advice, I'm waffling on now and still don't really know what to do! :lol:

Comments

• For road cycling you will always have an easier time on your road bike, if its question of light mud guards id have a look at some Crud Roadracer mkII as they are low clearance low weight plastic, also if you do come off, always a risk when commuting with cars, they will not damage you or your bike in a crash just flex. Plus their not to hard to pop off for that TT you mentioned.

If you are commuting having two bikes, or two sets of wheels for one bike is ideal, ie if a bike goes wrong when you are late and its raining as usual, just grab another and head out the door.

Puncture wise you should be ok on Conti Gatorskins either on your road bike or MTB, get the folding ones if you can as they are a little lighter. If you are getting punctures on the Gatorskins I've used folding 700c for about 3 years on my commute and the things to watch out for tyre pressure, and age. Taking into account you normal pressures conti only recommend pumping their tyres as standard to 90% of the max pressure they have a good guide to this at http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20ultra%20gatorskin.shtml, age wise they say replace after 3 years as the soft rubber will wear with age, but age doesn't seem to be the problem.

As a not with Gatorskins they can loose grip very suddenly if you lean over to far in the wet and let any of that orange side wall touch the floor, test this out when not moving.

With Crud Roadracer mkII on a road bike you will stay cleaner than most mud guards your MTB in the rain, Schwalbe City Jets are always a easy option to pickup for the MTB commute.

If you leave home late every day and want to get their fast id say road bike, MTB for you winter commute (road bikes can be a tad scary in the snow,ice/traffic) and leave the MTB wheel kitted with your tubeless nobblys at home for the weekends or for the inevitable pre work puncture. Road riding will ruin any nobbly MTB tyre quickly if you commute regularly.
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    If it's snowing, hailing or raining at 7am then I'll go in the car :D

The bike will only be used on the driest days, I don't mind being caught out in the rain but won't deliberately set out in it.

Some days I will have files/laptop to carry which will probably be too much for the bike so some days it won't be possible but I aim to try and get 2 days in a week.

I rarely ever use the MTB off road now, but always have the option with the tubeless nobblies. Weekend rides will be on the road bike.