mj818 users...

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
So i went a bought my self a mj818 as i'm fed up of replacing the the batteries in my Smart R1 + R2 so i bought the magicshine

so has anyone else noticed the the bit the you turn (to turn it on/ off) gets really really gritty?

i've had the light fitted for 2 days an it sounds awful when i twist it to turn it on.

i cant see it lasting very long
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mine's fine.

Have you used it in the wet without mudguards?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    bails87 wrote:
    Mine's fine.

Have you used it in the wet without mudguards?

erm...

*looks sheepish*

possibly
  • bails87
    :lol:

So you've pelted it with water filled with grit and now you're wondering why it's gritty? :wink:

Can it be dismantled? Maybe try to clean up the insides a bit, use some grease to help seal it and put it back together.
    MTB/CX

• kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    Yes it can be dismantled. The smaller central section lens section at the front unscrews counter clockwise, if you can't get it to move try gently levering the edges of the silver ring up with a very small screwdriver which seems to loosen the o-ring a bit.
    More here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze44YtIX7BI

Can I ask if when you twist the ring you have an 'off' position ie: the 3 modes and then nothing - or do you have to disconnect the battery to turn it off. Still in discussions with my seller about the duff one I got
  • mudcow007
    just found a video on youtube that shows how its all connected together - basically over big led in the middle of the light is a metal ring that rotates an unlocks the outta which all just twist off....

i will see how bad it gets, if it gets worse i will dissect
  • mudcow007
    kiwimatt wrote:
    Yes it can be dismantled. The smaller central section lens section at the front unscrews counter clockwise, if you can't get it to move try gently levering the edges of the silver ring up with a very small screwdriver which seems to loosen the o-ring a bit.
    More here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze44YtIX7BI

Can I ask if when you twist the ring you have an 'off' position ie: the 3 modes and then nothing - or do you have to disconnect the battery to turn it off. Still in discussions with my seller about the duff one I got

cool fanks

mine turns off if i turn it around to a certain point, an can be left powered on but with no light (if that makes sense)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    Mine has been fine so far, used for probably 200 miles of commuting, on a bike with full sks guards though....

Waiting for my second one to arrive in fact :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bails87
    Mine also turns off just from rotating the ring to the right position.

And it's also still working despite plenty of soaking wet commutes. I've got guards though.
    MTB/CX

• i had two as mentioned before, both of them became faulty after a month, its the twist turn on/off/blink that did it, it managed to twist and cut through the power cables twice in the light, so wasn't a happy bunny, if they made it with a decent switch I'd be tempted to buy another, till then I am on the lookout, either a exposure flare, hope district 3 or a denote, just cannot decide.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The district 3 is epic with its brightness and solid, completely solid. Easy to pop off as well

Although to be fair at least one of the modes is useless - the fast flash should be illegal. It could induce epileptic fits in the hardiest of drivers. Fit spoke reflectors and the whole back of the bike is bathed in a red glow. It looks awesome.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Just be careful if trying to remove the central silver section. I had one 818 that went faulty, so pulled it to bits. The internal wires can be damaged if you rotate the base and the large reflector, so be very careful removing the centre section.

Had my 818's 2 years, and had one fail about 12 months ago, so replaced with the same. Been pretty happy with them. Would consider the Hope, but my panniers obscure the seat post, so the 818's are ideal mounted to a 'pipe' on the back of my panniers.
  • bails87
    fossyant wrote:
    Would consider the Hope, but my panniers obscure the seat post, so the 818's are ideal mounted to a 'pipe' on the back of my panniers.

Could you not do the same with the Hope?
    MTB/CX

• daniel_b
    I bought an 818 last year, I think from the HK site, and it seems to be very good quality.

Today I took delivery of my second one, but this time from the UK site I think it is, and the quality is not as good, although hopefully it is jus ta defective unit.

The main issue is that the bezel rotates not smoothly at all (Is this what yours was like from the off?) and it also moved back and forth about 3mm, which makes me think it will nto be remotely waterproof.

I'm pretty dissapointed with it tbh.

I've logged a ticket with them requesting a replacement - thay have kept me happy before with returns, so we will see what they do this time - only thing is I know you have to wait sometimes to get a reply.

They refund postage charges pretty easily as well - think they credit it to paypal or something.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bails87
    Mine was smooth but with some resistance, like golden syrup rather than gravel!
    MTB/CX

• daniel_b
    bails87 wrote:

Yours sounds fine then, I must have got unlucky with a dodgy one :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mudcow007
    Daniel B wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Yours sounds fine then, I must have got unlucky with a dodgy one :-(

aye mine was smoother than a babies bum, until i rode through rain without guards on

i would have through they were sealed, it seems not though
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    bails87 wrote:
    fossyant wrote:
    Would consider the Hope, but my panniers obscure the seat post, so the 818's are ideal mounted to a 'pipe' on the back of my panniers.

La la la didn't read that, don't need to spend another £130... la la la :twisted:
  • bails87
    fossyant wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    fossyant wrote:

La la la didn't read that, don't need to spend another £130... la la la :twisted:
    :lol: If I had the choice (and had to pay) I'd pick another 818 rather than a Hope. The fact it's just as bright but cheaper (and mine works properly) is enough.
    MTB/CX

• daniel_b
    Question for you Magicshine owners.

What do you do, or where do you get replacement O rings from - I assume they deteriorate/split in time...?

sku_32750_1.jpg

Do you go back to DX for spares, or is there a cheaper way to buy what seems to be a very cheap item to make.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    And this is why I bought my Ayup. This thread gives me a nice, warm, smug feeling ;)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Yes, ... smug. About that;

1 x Ayup V-Twin $250.00 AUD Approx £160.83 GBP

1 x MJ-818 $49.19 USD Approx £30 GBP

5 x MJ-818 Approx £150 GBP and I would still be infront.

Still smug?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Adskis wrote:
    Yes, ... smug. About that;

1 x Ayup V-Twin $250.00 AUD Approx £160.83 GBP

1 x MJ-818 $49.19 USD Approx £30 GBP

5 x MJ-818 Approx £150 GBP and I would still be infront.

Still smug?

Not an issue if you're in front though. It's the guy at the back who needs the best rear lights.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • bails87
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    And this is why I bought my Ayup. This thread gives me a nice, warm, smug feeling ;)
    It makes me smug too, I paid loads less than you did and have brighter lights that have been flawlessly reliable. :lol:

On the O ring front, just use O rings from a DIY place?
    MTB/CX

• Am staying deliberately late at work this evening and taking the long way home just so that I can try out my new mj818 ( and mj808). How sad is that?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • bails87
    Am staying deliberately late at work this evening and taking the long way home just so that I can try out my new mj818 ( and mj808). How sad is that?
    Perfectly normal behaviour :D
    MTB/CX