I think we need a thread on what to do when hit by a car..

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Lets start it here considering i was hit by a car last night.

I took his reg, name, and number.

What do I do now?

Comments

• spasypaddy
    ah excellent, i never go into commuting general... will have a read
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Hope you're alright too!
  • spasypaddy
    walking wounded, and considering the damage to kit im very grateful of that
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Glad you're not badly hurt. Hope you get everything sorted quickly and easily to your satisfaction and the person that pulled out on you gets genital warts or something.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Glad you're not badly hurt. Hope you get everything sorted quickly and easily to your satisfaction and the person that pulled out on you gets genital warts or something.

The driver isn't likely to catch warts of him if he was wearing a car now, is he?

Glad you're OK, Paddy.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Hope you're alright too!

Forget that - is the bike OK? Not the lovely Look I hope?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • spasypaddy
    it was the Look. wheels are destroyed. i have a suspicion that the frame is absolutely fine. but im not sure.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Nooooooooooo!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Damn. Bad luck; hope you're ok.

How did it happen? I suspect the driver will get a bit of a shock when they realise the bike they clobbered was worth much more than plenty of cars...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rolf_f
    Fingers crossed then for you. Wheels are just wheels but a Look frame is sacred! It's one case where I wouldn't want a default write off. Unless I could keep the frame and get it checked out later :wink:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Ouch , glad you're OK, lovely frame, although only marginally quicker than my Brompton up Swains lane I believe!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Hope you're OK.
    When I see these threads I wonder when it's going to be my turn.
    Could that thread could have a permanent link from this forum ?
    Commuting Chat has a lot more traffic than Commuting General.
  • I thought the procedure was:
    1) Swear
    2) Check bike
    3) Check self
    4) D-Lock the c**t
  • I thought the procedure was:
    1) Swear
    2) Check bike
    3) Check self
    4) D-Lock the c**t

Multitask to save time.
    I swear and D-Lock in one fluid movement - action first, before the adrenaline wears off and shock kicks in.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • rick_chasey
    jejv wrote:
    Hope you're OK.

Done.
  • rolf_f
    jejv wrote:
    Hope you're OK.

Done.

Good effort. While we are at it, there are loads of other threads over there that aren't getting enough attention. Could you put links in to all the threads in Commuting General please? :wink:
  • spasypaddy
    davis wrote:
    Damn. Bad luck; hope you're ok.

How did it happen? I suspect the driver will get a bit of a shock when they realise the bike they clobbered was worth much more than plenty of cars...
    i was on a roundabout, turning right through it, i was just peeling off to go off the roundabout, as i looked over my shoulder to make my move the guy went into me. Its a single lane roundabout so he should never have been up the side of me. Roundabout in question: I was coming off dean's lane to go down the A5109
    https://local.google.co.uk/maps?q=dean's+lane&hl=en&ll=51.609316,-0.265469&spn=0.001313,0.004128&sll=52.842595,-2.329102&sspn=10.415419,33.815918&hnear=Dean's+Ln&t=m&z=19

And he knew exactly how much the bike was worth within 2seconds of me getting off the ground.
    Rolf F wrote:
    Fingers crossed then for you. Wheels are just wheels but a Look frame is sacred! It's one case where I wouldn't want a default write off. Unless I could keep the frame and get it checked out later :wink:
    Its going in to be checked by the only mechanic i trust on saturday.
    t4tomo wrote:
    Ouch , glad you're OK, lovely frame, although only marginally quicker than my Brompton up Swains lane I believe!
    lets get on some flat road... im too heavy to go up hills...
    I thought the procedure was:
    1) Swear
    2) Check bike
    3) Check self
    4) D-Lock the c**t
    If you can get up of the ground then you are ok. At which point the priority becomes the bike. Even if you block the roundabout checking it over as best you can

The force of the collision managed to rip one of the speedplay cleats off my shoe and is still attached to the pedal. The other shoe the sole has come away from the upper as a result of the force. How my knees and ankles aren't absolutely destroyed i'll never know.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    It sounds like you bounced pretty well, hope you don't suffer too much bruising. Did you involve plod, might be worth a trip to the doctor for a check over as well?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    spasypaddy wrote:
    If you can get up of the ground then you are ok.

A very long way from true, I'm afraid. However, genuinely glad you're ok, which is by far the main thing...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rick_chasey
    Rolf F wrote:
    jejv wrote:
    Hope you're OK.

Done.

Good effort. While we are at it, there are loads of other threads over there that aren't getting enough attention. Could you put links in to all the threads in Commuting General please? :wink:

Yeah.

Change of heart, and perhaps a gentle nudge from the powers that be.

Not the place for serious stickies, nor duplication.
  • spasypaddy
    Koncordski wrote:
    It sounds like you bounced pretty well, hope you don't suffer too much bruising. Did you involve plod, might be worth a trip to the doctor for a check over as well?
    nah plod weren't involved but i did file a report for insurance purposes last night. dialed 101 at scene for 2 reasons -
    1 so it was on my phone call log
    2 to make sure i hadnt missed something obvious when getting the gentlemans details

nah, no need for a trip to the Dr, too much experience of these situations tells me that my body is battered and bruised but not damaged severely. Was tempted to ride today but thought better of it.

davis wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    If you can get up of the ground then you are ok.

A very long way from true, I'm afraid. However, genuinely glad you're ok, which is by far the main thing...
    was tongue in cheek as i could walk after my first accident but could also see my kneecap
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    spasypaddy wrote:
    nah, no need for a trip to the Dr, too much experience of these situations tells me that my body is battered and bruised but not damaged severely. Was tempted to ride today but thought better of it.

From experience police won't give a monkey's if you haven't been injured enough to seek medical advice. When I was knocked off and ripped my bibshorts, the police attended but never bothered filing a full report because I didn't require medical assistance and when I tried filing a report myself they said the incident was already on their system so I couldn't file a duplicate. Claiming on insurance is much easier with a full report indicating the incident was serious enough for medical attention.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Gald you're okay.

After that sort of impact I'm not sure why you'd want to keep the bike. I'd not be surprised if the mechanic suggests getting it replaced, at the driver's/insurer's expense, obviously.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • spasypaddy
    the bike never had any direct impact on it as far as i can work out.

However the rear brake is now loose. And the wheels are very bent. The two are probably linked.

and i put a brand new wheel in and i THINK it was sitting slightly closer to the right seat/chain stay than the left but that could be my imagination.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I had a close shave this morning, a bit of single lane plus bus lane becomes two normal lanes as it approaches some lights, teh bus lane basically becomes the turn left lane. I merrily heading down the middle / RHS of the turn left lane as the right lane is queuing ahead so I can slip down into the ASL box.

A taxi, having been behind me, pulls along side in the Right hand lane and then decides he should be in the turn left lane so just starts to cut in. He stops pulling in when I kick his passenger door, brakes as he's approaching the RH lane queueing traffic and pulls in behind me. I stop for chat, before the ASL (lights are red), but he's waiting 10 yards back with huge gap in front.

I wave him forward and he reluctantly pulls along and rather tahn apologising fro nearly killing me, he says "whats your problem?" "What other than you trying to kill me" I say, adding "try to make sure you've actually overtaken someone before pulling back in front of them , rather than just havi yor bumber slightly ahead". he grunted and drove off!

Bit of an odd one as most Cabbies I find are pretty cyclist aware. They may not like us sharing bus lanes with them but they do normally try to avoid knocking us off.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    jejv wrote:
    [...]

Done.
    Can't see it.
    Then my browser dates from the Late Neolithic/Early Bronze Age.
    Half expecting to see it below "The Gallery".