worth getting a wheel fixed?

saunaboy
saunaboy Posts: 116
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

broke a spoke at the weekend, sheared off at hub & as I had to ride home, the wheel is miles out of true now. Thing is, the wheels are the bog standard Jalco stock wheels I got on my bike in 2010 (Bianchi Via Nirone Tiagra).

How much would a bike shop charge to get these fixed - i.e. is it worth it or should I just fork out for a new set of wheels? I understand from a few opinions on here that I'd have to go north of £200 to get a set of wheels that would be a vast improvement on what I have. Mavic Aksiums & Fulcrum 7s would, I understand from web opinion, be a better wheel but not to the point of making the bike feel different.

In terms of personal requirements, I'm not a serious rider by any stretch, but would describe myself as 'keen and improving'.

Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Comments

• If it literally is one spoke, I'd hope it won't cost much at all. :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That's got to be less than a tenner ?

Or get them to sell you the spoke you need and true the wheel yourself. It's very easy.
  • mike101
    mike101 Posts: 42
    Had this happen recently. LBS charged me £10 to fix. I decided it was a good excuse to buy a new wheelset anyway. Now have a spare set in the garage in case of emergencies.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    My allez elite came with rather mediocre wheels. Alex rims on unbranded hubs. I bought a wheelset for £109 including 2 decent tyres which was a decent and noticeable upgrade.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... -pair.html

No tyres included now. Depending what you want these are cheaper and slightly lighter

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... heels.html

Not that I think these are anything special - just that stock wheels tend to be seriously rubbish.
  • spoke - 50p
    spoke key - about £5
    your time learning how to true a wheel (there is a lot of info on the web) - £nil

knowing you can rescue a buckled wheel while you're out on the road miles from anywhere - priceless !

(joking aside, it is a very useful skill to have, even a basic knowledge of what to do can get you by / home)
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    You'll need to add the cost of a chainwhip and cassette-removal tool though, because it's bound to be a driveside spoke which will have gone and you'll need to remove the cassette to replace it if it's a standard J-spoke.

But you'll need these in your toolkit if you're intending to change the cassette yourself (dead easy) rather than have the shop do it when it wears-out.

Get the shop to sell you a couple/few spokes rather than just the one, as if one's broken and the wheel's gone out of true and you've ridden it a distance then it'll have stressed some of the others too and they'll go as well before too long, so worth having a spare spoke in the cupboard ready.

As you've found, the wheels are usually the weak point on price-point bikes : all the manufacturers do it, easier to cut the cost there and not as obvious as if they fitted a cheaper-level groupset.
    You'll find bikes for £1500-£2000 with RS10's or the Aksiums or Fulcrum 7's you mention, which you can buy for just over £100

Repair the spoke and ride the wheels until you wear them out - or buy a fancier pair and ride them in Summer or for special occasions, keep the original set for grimy Winter days with salt and grit on the roads.
  • Completely agree with all that was just said.

My point still stands though that knowing how to true a wheel, even if it's just a rough job to get you home is a very useful skill to have. Both chain whip and cassette tool can be had for next to nothing. I've even seen/remember from my days as a MTBer, tools called "hyper crackers" (no jokes please) which meant you could easily remove the cassette whilst out and about.....assuming of course that you have a replacement spoke to hand to do a roadside..... most unlikely.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    saunaboy wrote:
    Mavic Aksiums & Fulcrum 7s would, I understand from web opinion, be a better wheel but not to the point of making the bike feel different.

Aksiums are a noticable improvement on the stock Alexrims that came with my entry level Giant.

But if the rest of the wheel is ok I would repair anyway. It's always useful to have a spare set of wheels (set up with pat worn tyres and servicable cassette) for a quick change over.
    I went through Alex Rims for first year, upgraded to Askiums the following summer (and keeping Alex for winter). When I can sneak them past Mrs MM I will upgrade again and relegate the Aksiums for winter.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I went through Alex Rims for first year, upgraded to Askiums the following summer (and keeping Alex for winter). When I can sneak them past Mrs MM I will upgrade again and relegate the Aksiums for winter.

Just make sure the new kit is the same colour (Mavic Krysium Elites spring to mind) and you never need to worry her by letting on :)
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    ^Will be looking at new frames in the end of season sales, which will take me close to completing a total bike swap - anyone remember 'Trigger's broom' ?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Just make sure the new kit is the same colour (Mavic Krysium Elites spring to mind) and you never need to worry her by letting on :)

What dear? Oh yes, do you like my new wheel stickers? Very snazzy aren't they.........
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    ^Will be looking at new frames in the end of season sales, which will take me close to completing a total bike swap - anyone remember 'Trigger's broom' ?

You mean Anne Boleyns axe don't you? That joke was centuries old long before it appeared in that sitcom.
    Faster than a tent.......