Normal ruck sack and hydration pack.

vim147
vim147 Posts: 120
edited August 2012 in MTB general
A friend is giving me an old 20L hiking ruck sack which he doesn't want.

I was originally in the market for a hydration ruck sack like the camelbak mule.

Just want to know if a normal rucksack would be good enough and just buy a hydration bladder.

Would the bladder stay stable in the ruck sack whilst out riding or would you recommend a special bag which has a compartment to fit the bladder ?

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    edited August 2012
    Some of them do already have pouches and hose routing for bladders, depends how old it is really, most modern ones do. I couldn't imagine one that didn't have some sort of pocket for one would be much use to be honest. Personally, I couldn't ride without a hydration pack.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I have a Berghaus hiking rucksack I use for longer rides, and I put the bladder in from my smaller hydration pack. It does have a hole already for the hose, and a loop on the strap you can hold it on. It does slip down to the bottom of the rucksack (which has two inner sections anyway) as the hydration pack has a clip to keep the bladder upright, but it works OK.
  • vim147
    vim147 Posts: 120
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I have a Berghaus hiking rucksack I use for longer rides, and I put the bladder in from my smaller hydration pack. It does have a hole already for the hose, and a loop on the strap you can hold it on. It does slip down to the bottom of the rucksack (which has two inner sections anyway) as the hydration pack has a clip to keep the bladder upright, but it works OK.

What litre size is your Berghaus rucksack ?

I dont mind making some holes in a racksack to route the hose or even putting some loops on it with some diy stitching.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If you get one of the insulated camelback bladders they are pretty rigid and stay up right in a lesser sack
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    vim147 wrote:
    What litre size is your Berghaus rucksack ?

I don't know, it is just a hiking "day pack". I can't see the same model for sale now, but it looks about 25 litres based on others on sale.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    A friend used to use his backpack. It was fine in winter months when he had a jacket and extra layers etc wedging everything in place. but in summer when there was just tools and bladder he said everything would just slosh about and cause annoyance.

He was planing on sewing in some elastic to keep the bladder in position but then he spotted a hydration pack in tesco for not a not of money so went for that option instead.