Making my bike faster

iampaulb
iampaulb Posts: 159
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I have a Giant TCR Composite 2...my question is, taking the rider out the picture how can i make my bike faster?

Would it be aero wheels? More carbon? Better Chainset? Osymetric Chainrings?

I have been told wheels do make a huge difference. I have the bug now and want to go as fast as possible...i also train pretty well, so the rider is also getting upgrades.

just curious thats all, planning ahead so to speak

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Tyres, wheels and good maintenance and go from there.
  • By way of preface, please forget any misguided notions you might have picked up about lighter = better. It's FAR less important than it's so often made out to be, and if you don't do it right you'll mainly lighten your wallet.

If you want to go fast (or indeed cycle at all), you are fighting on two fronts: with the air and the road. Frontal area, power transfer, and rolling resistance (etc). The majority of all that is in your technique and in your adjustment of your bike. Changing your stem for example can improve your frontal area, but so will working on your posture.

I'm not trying to be disparaging, but you are talking about things that Brad Wiggins needs to care about, but you don't. 90% of us mere mortal cyclists if not more do not need things like aero wheels. Keep in mind that he has an army of mechanics and a warehouse full of spares should he break something; you don't!

Your perceptions are based too heavily in racing cycling. Racing bikes aren't just designed to be able to maximise rider speed. That doesn't require an enormous amount of bike. Brad Wiggins could do a run on his racing machine of choice, and then on a more 'down-to-Earth' bike, and the differences in speed and time would be marginal. Important only in time trial terms. Road racing machines are designed to allow extremely sharp handling, extremes of acceleration, and of course make the difference between winning and losing.

When it comes to 'marginal gains', you have to go the 'whole hog' or not at all. I.e. just upgrading your chainset would be a bit pointless. If you were going to upgrade the entire transmission including shoes and pedals to top-drawer kit, it would make more sense, but it would still make a very small difference and you would spend more than your bike is worth.

Yes, wheels can make a difference, and of all things to upgrade, they are one of the more sensible ones. But if you aren't racing at a really, really high level, just get some good light alloy rimmed clinchers, and some good tyres. Puncture proofing doesn't have to weigh a ton either.

If you want to improve your bike and/or lighten your wallet, first go for a bike fitting. After that, book some sessions with a coach. :)
  • Wot he just said
  • iampaulb
    any wheels you can suggest?
    heard these are pretty handy - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mavic-cosmic-el ... -wheelset/
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    iampaulb wrote:
    heard these are pretty handy - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mavic-cosmic-el ... -wheelset/

They appear to be neither particularly light nor particularly aero but the reviewers seem to like them.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    iampaulb wrote:

for that money try these http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ulcwhfr160

or a little more will get you RS80s
  • iampaulb
    iampaulb wrote:
    or a little more will get you RS80s

heard a lot about those RS80s...they top dog?
  • snoopsmydogg
    never used them myself as I could get faster by riding more and losing weight but they seem to get rave reviews on here.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Are you trying to 'look' faster or actually 'ride' faster? Most people spent a whole pile of money on the former....
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    Lowering the handlebars for more aero position?

There is also an element of, if the new wheels / stem / whatever makes you want to ride more and ride harder, then they are worth the marginal gains they offer bike as you will get more out of it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    If you want a car to go faster you upgrade the engine or tune it to its full poential and improve its aerodynamics. Cycling is basically the same - work on making the engine as powerful and efficient as possible and getting a riding position that minimises drag whilst remaining comfortable. Upgrades will help make gear changes smoother etc. to give a more enjoyable ride (potentially) whilst less weight, particularly on the wheels, will help on hills and accelerations but you can lose that if you compromise stiffness as the force you apply to the pedals gets wasted.

If you are intent on spending money I would suggest the following priorities:-

1. Pay a coach for training advice.
    2. Buy a power meter and learn how to use it properly.
    3. If you really want to get something for the bike then a set of lighter (and stiffer) wheels. I'm sticking with Mavics from now on after experiencing issues with what I thought looked like being a good value, light wheelset recently.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Yes, the Holy Grail of human physiology of perfecting cycling efficiency.... :wink:
    now, where have I heard that before.....?
    (sorry , couldnt resist)
  • iampaulb
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Are you trying to 'look' faster or actually 'ride' faster? Most people spent a whole pile of money on the former....

actually riding faster. I enjoy looking fast, but i want to RIDE fast and smash everyone on strava! It brings out my competitive streak
    GSVBagpuss wrote:

I have thought about this?? lowering the stem down by one spacer or so? Worth while?

Id like to think my position is quite good...but what do i know! lol Interested in getting a power meter though. But have no idea which one to get, as i dont know too much about them. Although i have an edge 500 so i could use one
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Pross wrote:
    3. If you really want to get something for the bike then a set of lighter (and stiffer) wheels. I'm sticking with Mavics from now on after experiencing issues with what I thought looked like being a good value, light wheelset recently.

Just out of interest, what were wheels you didn't get on with? And what were the issues?
  • snoopsmydogg
    iampaulb wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

actually riding faster. I enjoy looking fast, but i want to RIDE fast and smash everyone on strava! It brings out my competitive streak
    GSVBagpuss wrote:

I have thought about this?? lowering the stem down by one spacer or so? Worth while?

Id like to think my position is quite good...but what do i know! lol Interested in getting a power meter though. But have no idea which one to get, as i dont know too much about them. Although i have an edge 500 so i could use one

If you want to get KOM on strava then you just need to work harder but you may find that a lot of the routes are done by cycling clubs and are damn hard to beat as they do it in groups.

If you still have the spacers on the stem then try different positions to find something that is comfortable but possibly more aero.

A power meter used properly will make a difference too. Find out what is compatible with your current kit and away you go.
  • Fine tune the "engine" :wink: Tyres and wheels give the best return, also, make sure your position on the bike is right.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Posts: 124
    Not an expert by any means

But i would check tyre pressure, saddle height, tyre wear, handlebar position first

I also find a quick stretching session before hand helps a lot

And on a car its power to weight ratio, the lighter it is the better, you could have the best tune in the world but if its a barge you are going nowhere
  • How fast do you want to go..??

Back in 1978 Alf Engers did the first sub 50 minute 25mile time trial. That is an average speed over 30mph. Pretty fast in my book. Although Alf pioneered lightweight bicycles, frequently drilling out brakes, chainwheels and other componants, he never had the luxury of carbon fibre, tri-bars, low profile wheels and skin suits etc etc. I'm sure he would have loved todays bikes. All about training and fitness I'm afraid. It's like money in the bank. You can't draw out what you haven't put in.

Having said that I'm sure we all want those magical componants which make our bikes go faster..!!
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's like money in the bank. You can't draw out what you haven't put in.

Have you read the papers at any point in the last 10 years? If this was true we probably wouldn't be in recession! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    What sort of speed are you doing at the minute? As getting more earo won't do THAT much untill you actually get fitter yourself..

Aero wheels prob won't really do anything untill your doing over 20mph to begin with..
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • haf1zur wrote:

But i would check tyre pressure, saddle height, tyre wear, handlebar position first

And on a car its power to weight ratio, the lighter it is the better, you could have the best tune in the world but if its a barge you are going nowhere

You're right, but as I said, it's hugely overrated as a factor. The bike is already 'light' - the rider represents the majority weight contingent by a very long way! - and because the differences in weight are so expensive and so small, it's very easy to choose poorly. Since the bike is already light, the other factors are more important as it is, to the point that most cyclists moreorless don't need to worry about it, and indeed shouldn't waste their money thinking that a few grams will make them faster. You can't buy a road bike that's unusably heavy.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    haf1zur wrote:

e

Sorry, it shows... please don't bother with pre stretching.. completely worthless
    for cycling, just easy pedalling for a bit and then start to ramp it up to working pace
  • Pross
    haf1zur wrote:

Nope - drag is a far bigger issue than power to weight for top end speed. Power to weight makes a big difference to acceleration and going up hill. It's just that when racing cars the acceleration is more important.
  • Pross
    JamesEs wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Just out of interest, what were wheels you didn't get on with? And what were the issues?

Pro Lite Braccianos. They got good reviews and I really liked them but the bearings have gone after just 4 months use. LBS reckons the quality of the bearings are very poor so I'm going to replace the wheels with Ksyriums. I guess reviews don't get to test the medium term performance.
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    Pross wrote:
    JamesEs wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Pro Lite Braccianos. They got good reviews and I really liked them but the bearings have gone after just 4 months use. LBS reckons the quality of the bearings are very poor so I'm going to replace the wheels with Ksyriums. I guess reviews don't get to test the medium term performance.

Can't you just put some decent bearings in?
  • ....the rider represents the majority weight contingent by a very long way....
    Good point. Have a dump before you set out. That cheap weight loss would cost a fortune to shave off your bike..!!
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • Pross
    nbuuifx wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    JamesEs wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Can't you just put some decent bearings in?

Yes, at a cost whereas they are under warranty so I'd rather get something I can trust. It doesn't help that the flange width of the hub is significantly different between the Pro Lites and my Aksium training wheel which makes it a PITA swapping wheels.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    I'm really surprised no one has mentioned fitting these..

http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-bike-streamer-93-939221

They really help especially when posing round Richmond Park
    :wink:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Stretching cold muscles? Not a good idea, and can do a lot of harm. Lots of info on the Internet I would expect
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I suspect I could make by bike significantly faster by lending it to pretty much any of my cycling friends