Inner Tubes

bykerbloke91
bykerbloke91 Posts: 37
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys,

It just dawned on me, is there any major difference in quality between the tube manufacturers such as those you can purchase in Tesco, Lidl or Continental?

Andy

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    most unbranded tubes tend to be feng shin or summit like that and made in china

most ok but some have non brass valves on them

continental are made in germany

the more expensive tubes will have less butyl in them and more latex or better quality rubbers

latex weighs less and is slightly more hole resistant

but really no one will know they were made in china under the tyres
  • Weight and puncture resistance are the main things. Lighter ones will help spin the wheels faster but are more prone to puncture as a general rule. I use the continental race 28 as they're a good trade off and easily available.
  • stoneb09
    stoneb09 Posts: 98
    SenseiSpud wrote:
    Weight and puncture resistance are the main things. Lighter ones will help spin the wheels faster but are more prone to puncture as a general rule. I use the continental race 28 as they're a good trade off and easily available.

I also use the continental Race 28 tubes as they are 10 for £25 on ebay. The original tubes I got with my bike diminished in the first 2 days so replaced and had no problems.
  • estampida wrote:
    most unbranded tubes tend to be feng shin or summit like that and made in china

most ok but some have non brass valves on them

continental are made in germany

the more expensive tubes will have less butyl in them and more latex or better quality rubbers

latex weighs less and is slightly more hole resistant

but really no one will know they were made in china under the tyres

Not sure about that - I have Conti inner tubes and I'm pretty sure they all have "made in China" stamped on them. As far as I can tell the cheaper tubes from the supermarket etc seem to be slightly heavier - I think they tend to be thicker to fit a greater range of tyre thicknesses. Having said that there's probably only 20g difference.