Pedals

Potsie2518
Potsie2518 Posts: 25
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey everyone, i need your help!

Ive got a pair of Shimano PD-M530 pedals and ive just started entering into triathlons! I know! :S what i would like to know is does anyone know of any road shoes that can clip into these pedals?! I dont want to buying another set for triathlon.

Please can you give me the names of shoes and places you advise to get them from. Cheaper the better.

Please please can you let me know asap because my first triathlon is next weekend :S

Thanks in advance!!

William

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Let me be the first to ask a stupid question: what's wrong with your mtb shoes?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/a ... black.html ??

Just go on CRC though, find some you like the look of and the price of to narrow it down, then look for SPD compatible shoes (different to SPD-SL).

You'll need a second pair of cleats too. I just use my MTB shoes though.
  • This is going to be a stupid question but ive only really started buying my own kit.

I need to find a pair of road shoes that are SPD compatible? ( not SPD-SL)

How do i know which cleats i need?

Sorry about not having a clue but i do really appreciate the help.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You need sh51s with those pedals
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Potsie2518 wrote:
    This is going to be a stupid question but ive only really started buying my own kit.

I need to find a pair of road shoes that are SPD compatible? ( not SPD-SL)

How do i know which cleats i need?

Sorry about not having a clue but i do really appreciate the help.

cleatcompare1.jpg
    The ones on the right are the ones you'll want, the ones on the left are SPD-SL style (technically I think they're Look Keo cleats but that's not the point, they're road specific ones)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=167
  • Brilliant thanks alot Angry Bird cleared alot up for me!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Angry Bird is right re cleat type and shoes compatible with those cleats.

As for the shoes themselves, there are road oriented shoes that work but there are also mountain bike oriented shoes that are stiff, high performance race shoes too. I suggest the latter if you ride off road in the pedals too.

I also suggest trying before buying (even if that means trying in a shop and then buying online) as obviously fit is key especially if you are looking for performance.

On another point, high end triathletes have shoes that are easily put on while riding as in they jump on and worry about putting shoes on their feet and doing them up on the move rather than putting them on, getting on the bike and then clipping in and riding. For the purposes of your first few triathlons I would just go with good shoes - my mate who did tri's a few times always said his biggest saving on his best time would be by trimming down the changeovers over any amount s of additional training!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Ditto.

Why all the hassle? Just get a pair of XC race shoes, no?

You'll look like a knob but that's part and parcel for triathlete's isn't it :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8