Advice Sought from North Leeds Riders

slowhand44
slowhand44 Posts: 47
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

After a crash a few weeks ago that wrote off my winter road bike, I am going to replace it with a montain bike. I used to ride very regularly about 10 years ago, and my steed was a Schwinn 4 Banger full suspension. I am lookign at getting either a Canyon Nerve XC or AM, but am unsure as to how much travel would be suitable. I will be riding mainly around the North Leeds area (Harewood House, Meanwood Valley Trail, Adel woods (if it's allowed)) and further afield as I get to know the trails. I also hope to travel further afield when my kids are a little older and are able to join me in some off-road fun.

So, 120mm XC or 140mm AM? What would you reasons be for choosing one over t'other?

Ta,

Michael
"There's a way of transferring funds that is even faster than electronic banking. It's called marriage."
James Holt McGavran

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    120mm XC because that's what I like riding. But I don't know what you prefer so...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Davsy
    Davsy Posts: 17
    I would choose the xc - I ride in the Harewood area and there isn't anything that I've seen that would need 140mm of travel.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I chose an AM as I have a hardtail, so it made sense to me to have two distinct bikes. If you don't plan on hitting anything too hard then the XC makes sense as it is lighter and better specified at the same price point.
  • Cheers. I am leaning towards the XC as it is £200 cheaper for the base model (6.0), and I still have to get it past Mrs. Slowhand.

Unfortunately Canyon are sold out of both the XC and AM is sixe small, so I'll have to wait until they release the new season's bikes after Eurobike, and see what price they are.
    "There's a way of transferring funds that is even faster than electronic banking. It's called marriage."
    James Holt McGavran
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    i chose the AM because thats the one i liked, do i need all that travel ? probably not, but its there if i do, besides you see people riding the same area's on everything from 100mm hardtails to 160mm enduro's, i would imagine the XC would be more than enough but its your choice, i don't think you would be disappointed with either
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    XC - 120mm is all you need for most of the UK esp FS.

By the way the fact your wife has a slowhand is probably a good thing.....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    i chose the AM because thats the one i liked, do i need all that travel ? probably not, but its there if i do, besides you see people riding the same area's on everything from 100mm hardtails to 160mm enduro's, i would imagine the XC would be more than enough but its your choice, i don't think you would be disappointed with either

Cheers, chez_m356. Whereabouts in Leeds do you do your riding?
    James Holt McGavran
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    slowhand44 wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:

Cheers, chez_m356. Whereabouts in Leeds do you do your riding?
    most of it in the places that you listed :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011