The long way round

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Just a quick (dumb, no doubt) question...

I'm buying a pair of forks for my Carrera Vulcan '09. The Suntours on it are shite. I'm looking at going with these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54600 as the bike currently had V-brakes I will also need to buy a hydrauic disc brake for the front as the Vs won't attach to this fork.

Question is, will that fork fit? Also, I'm going the long way round, buying the bitf for this bike and then going to buy a frame that I like and put them all on that. Will this fork transfer over to a new frame? Probably on OnOne Carbon frame.

Cheers, sorry for sounding stupid!

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Well first off that fork says its out of stock......

But it would fit your frame, basically frames either have a 1 1/8th inch steerer, a tapered steerer or a 1.5 inch steerer - most more basic bikes or cheaper will have the first including yours.

The on One will take a tapered steerer but can, with the right headset, fit a 1 1/8th but a tapered would be better for it (stiffer and better tracking in theory). In addition the 456 is designed to take a fork from 4 to 6 inches long which the one you are buying is (as in its 4 inches) so all good there but that will possibly lose you some of the benefits of going for a 456 in the first place.

You could try out a 120mm fork for your Carrera - might change the steering a bit though but then youd have a longer fork for the 456 or you could go for a U turn fork (I have one that does 85mm to 120mm on my bike - if you got a 100-150mm u turn you can run it 100-110 on the carrera but run it at whatever you want on the 456).

Or sell the carrera as is and buy a 456 outright now.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Well first off that fork says its out of stock......

But it would fit your frame, basically frames either have a 1 1/8th inch steerer, a tapered steerer or a 1.5 inch steerer - most more basic bikes or cheaper will have the first including yours.

The on One will take a tapered steerer but can, with the right headset, fit a 1 1/8th but a tapered would be better for it (stiffer and better tracking in theory). In addition the 456 is designed to take a fork from 4 to 6 inches long which the one you are buying is (as in its 4 inches) so all good there but that will possibly lose you some of the benefits of going for a 456 in the first place.

You could try out a 120mm fork for your Carrera - might change the steering a bit though but then youd have a longer fork for the 456 or you could go for a U turn fork (I have one that does 85mm to 120mm on my bike - if you got a 100-150mm u turn you can run it 100-110 on the carrera but run it at whatever you want on the 456).

Or sell the carrera as is and buy a 456 outright now.

Cheers! Most helpful. I did see that it's out of stock, having emailed them to see if they are likely to be getting it back in stock. I think I like your suggestion of getting a U turn, mainly so I get to run it with more travel when I get a 456. Seems like a better option than having 4inch of travel on the 456.

Cheers