18, 20, 24 speed. Which one?

doublem_1
doublem_1 Posts: 266
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Most of the bikes in my price range seem to either be 18 or 20 speed. Is this ok for a beginner?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    that's just the number of gear combinations available to you. There are a number of options within the gears - larger cogs on the back are easier as are smaller cogs on the front - they're measured in number of teeth.

You'll only get a suitable answer if you let us know what sort of terrain you're intending to ride (to start with) - just a general locality will do
    and
    your fitness level - are you a reforming couch potato (like most of us?) or have you done a lot of sport before thinking of getting a bike?
  • doublem_1
    doublem_1 Posts: 266
    Ok most of what I will be riding is flat with a few moderate hills. The occasional route will have some steeper hills (such as cheddar gorge). I am fairly fit. I weigh around 9 stone, 5'3'' and go to the gym occasionally so I wouldnt say I was unfit by any means. I do the occasional route with a friends mountain bike and although challenging on the hills I always manage.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The 18 and 20 speeds will be (I assume, surely it's not 3x6) doubles, so two chainrings at the front, and the 24 will be a triple. So 3 chainrings and an 8 speed cassette.

Doubles will have slightly less range between top and bottom gears vs a triple. A compact chainset is a smaller (easier to pedal) double. I would have thought a reasonably fit beginner would be ok on a compact, though it depends on the size of the cassette. A bigger 'big' cog on the cassette is easier to pedal.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I use a 10 speed. (Five at the back, two at the front)

Any of those will be fine for you; in fact you'll be spoiled. ;)

Really though, to be honest I would be inclined to primarily consider the shifters (which differ) above the number of sprockets, and that would be after I'd decided that I liked the bike.

If you're going to opt for a 10 speed over a 9, do it because 10 is more upgradeable, and to a certain extent more 'future-proof'; it's not impossible that Shimano will upgrade Sora to a 10 speed, I suppose.