The Birthday Build

angry_bird
angry_bird Posts: 3,786
edited October 2012 in Your mountain bikes
So it's my dad's birthday coming up and instead of buying him something I've decided to do something nice for him.

About 3/4 years ago he had to take one of his old bikes apart because we were running out of room for it, it's an old Spesh Hardrock, and I mean old. Anyway, since then it's sat at the back of the shed doing fuck all, just gathering dust and dirt. He's been on about building it up again now there's space for a while but just doesn't seem to have the time.

So...

The plan, I've looked at it, might need some new bearings for the headset, new brake pads, cables, maybe a chain too. A decent clean. Then a rebuild. Then hopefully he'll use it a bit, for something, I don't quite know what, I mean he's got plenty of other bikes but still.

So, today is the start of phase 1. Cleaning it up. I'll post some nice sparkly pictures when it's done, but for now here's a few pics of what it looked like when I rescued it from the darkest corner of the old shed.

7879569214_6c20d779b6_z.jpg

7879571870_9deeffb1cd_z.jpg

7879566836_43a2efd481_z.jpg

Just need to remember how threaded headsets go together now :lol: But no, seriously shouldn't be too bad, wheels need a bit of work maybe, other than that it should be ok. Got just under 2 weeks to get it done without him noticing, so the plan is to get it all built up and working whilst he's at work. Hide it away in my bike bag and then on his birthday whack the wheels in and send him off on a ride.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks like a great project, I have a similar build on an old Gary Fisher which I've subtley enhanced with various modern parts, but only picking those that look period (so steel bars replaced with enamelled alloy so they look the same).

New wheels looks a must with rusty spokes!

2 weeks is tight for all those hard to find bits though, so best of luck!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • angry_bird
    Looks like a great project, I have a similar build on an old Gary Fisher which I've subtley enhanced with various modern parts, but only picking those that look period (so steel bars replaced with enamelled alloy so they look the same).

New wheels looks a must with rusty spokes!

2 weeks is tight for all those hard to find bits though, so best of luck!

Yeah, it's going to be a push, and I'm afraid I have to agree about the wheels unfortunately, not impressed by that but oh well. This could turn out being more expensive than I'd initally planned :lol:

Best get onto ebay...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Brilliant idea and so much better than just a "here's what I got you" type present. Nice one.

Whilst I agree about the wheels if the money is an issue then just clean them up, explain to him what you've done and let him decide whether he wants to take the chance.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • angry_bird
    Cheers. Guess I'll see how the budget goes, by the end of today I'll have myself a list of what needs replacing, then price it up and buy as much as I can. I probably can afford some wheels, just have to go without a new light which I'm not too fussed about. Once the student loan comes in I can get myself one.
  • angry_bird
    Just called a mate who has a pair of old wheels that I can possibly have/trade/buy/steal (we'll see). I know he's after some replacement brakes and stuff, so I'll see what arrangement we can come to. Just annoying I need rim compatible rims, I've got 2 sets of disc wheels lying around doing fark all :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    That's a nice birthday present, I like it :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    It rolls. Been for a little play on it, the front brake works fine, it steers well enough. Went out earlier and got new cables and brake pads from the LBS, got some new bearings for the headset too.

Still not sure what to do about the wheels yet. All I've really got left to do is clean a few more parts and put the drivetrain and rear brake on. Once that's done it's finished really, just waiting on a few little bits to arrive.

7901237402_e2c4535219_z.jpg
  • that simply looks awesome! love how nothing has been re done, everything is original!
    It never gets easier. You just go faster. – Greg LeMond

The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. - Ann Strong
  • angry_bird
    Cheers, I've got some finished photos but haven't had chance to bung them up yet, I'll sort it when I have proper interwebs at home, very happy with the end result though, took it for a decent test ride and it was great fun.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lets have the photo's!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • angry_bird
    Proper interwebs is here tomorrow, until then I'm stuck with the phone.
  • Such an awesome idea and I bet he'll be stoked to see it built up. Even if he does not use it all the time it's still a great thing to have and who knows, he might get back to riding it.

Looks great too.