cleat fitting service

lurpak
lurpak Posts: 78
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Hi, does anyone know of somewhere that offers a cleat fitting service in the Swindon/Bath/Bristol area. I bought some new shoes for my commute and having fitted the cleats myself following all the instructions i am finding that i get pain in the outside of my foot. I have tried things like wearing thinner socks but still get the pain after a few miles.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Silly question, are the straps too tight on that part of your shoe?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lurpak
    lurpak Posts: 78
    I have tried releasing the straps as well but still get same pain. It is right on outside of foot which makes me think it might be cleat position. Did read some articles from people who suffer same thing who talk about using shims/wedges but rather than just buying some would see if there was somewhere local that offers a fitting service.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    I had this about 6-7 years ago and decided that it was the Sidi's I wore at the time. I found them ever so slightly too narrow... I now use Shimano shoes as they are on the wider side. To confirm this I went to a couple of bike shops and tried on various makes of shoe. This confirmed that the Shimanos' are wider and I've not had the problem since... Good luck...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I had this too when I first got back into road biking (it was toe clips only before that). I did move the cleat a little further to the outside of the shoe, whhc helped a bit.

I then realised I was peddling with my right knee stuck out a bit - old war wound. Now when I make sure my knee / leg isn't at a silly angle I get no pain. As a bonus, I peddle more smoothly and efficiently :D

So it might be worth just looking at your peddling action/ postioning as it might not be the cleats at all.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem