new stem please

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Need to get a new stem for my C456. Been borrowing a mate's stem for a while now, its about time I got my own one and returned his back to him. (Sorry Scott :oops: )

The bike is used for a bit of everything, from long XC jaunts to a bit of messing around on natural features and even the odd DH course. So need something light but tough, 50mm in length, and prefer either a straight or low rise (~5 degrees).

Had a quick scan on the web and come up with this selection. They all seem to fit the bill fine with little to separate them. I've always considered a stem to be stem with not much difference apart from weight is there something I'm missing? or will any of these fit the bill fine.
    Gusset Staff
    Nukeproof Warhead
    Superstar Zenith

Comments

• Chunkers1980
      Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
      RF Turbine.
    • felix.london
      felix.london Posts: 4,067
      Nowt wrong with the Superstar - strong, light, cheap and loads of colours...happy days
      "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
    • .blitz
      .blitz Posts: 6,197
      Have never been much of a stem geek but a while back I bought a 50mm Thomson X4 from Merlin because it was cheap and it is definitely a step up from what I was used to.

Amazing precision fit on the steerer, it barely needs the bolts tightening to keep it in place

Looks good even after frequent intense neglect, it's one of 'those' components
    • felix.london
      .blitz wrote:
      Have never been much of a stem geek but a while back I bought a 50mm Thomson X4 from Merlin because it was cheap and it is definitely a step up from what I was used to.

Amazing precision fit on the steerer, it barely needs the bolts tightening to keep it in place

Looks good even after frequent intense neglect, it's one of 'those' components

Merlin's search algorithm is pants! You get nothing for "Thomson X4" - because the name of the stem is Thomson Elite X4

50mm, 0°but over £50 with discount :shock:

Trek Session 8
    • jairaj
      Sorry should have said the budget is around £30.

So Thomson is way over budget at around £55 and only on par with the others for weight. Can't see a reason to spend the extra.
    • cooldad
      cooldad Posts: 32,599
      edited August 2012
      I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
    • jairaj
      Same goes for the Raceface Turbine stem. Cheapest I can find it is £50 can't see what extra it offers compared to the stems I listed.
    • felix.london
      jairaj wrote:
      Sorry should have said the budget is around £30.

SS Zenith AM then, no? Not really sure what warrants a good or bad stem...but mine works, is pretty light and looks good in white imo (80mm, upside down)

DSC_0948.JPG

Trek Session 8
    • jairaj
      Sorry Cooldad that was my first port of call but smallest I could find was a 60mm which is too long. I've tired a selection of stem lengths and the 50mm felt just right.

Felix - yeah that seems to be top of the list. Cheapest out the lot and hopefully comes with Harribo.
    • Chunkers1980
      Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
      Don't forget, bent bars offer a small amount of reach adjustment for the sake of 10mm or so
    • The Rookie
      The Rookie Posts: 27,812
      jairaj wrote:
      Sorry Cooldad that was my first port of call but smallest I could find was a 60mm which is too long. I've tired a selection of stem lengths and the 50mm felt just right.
      Move the saddle forward by 10mm and you'll have the same reach!
      Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
    • jairaj
      supersonic wrote:

So is there something wrong with the stems I linked to?

Most people are suggesting something different without explaining why their choice is better or what's wrong with my choice.

I have nothing against going for a different option but I would like to understand why.
    • jairaj
      Move the saddle forward by 10mm and you'll have the same reach!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it will not have the same steering feel. I might come across as being quite stubborn about the size. I haven't done extensive scientific testing but I have had a go with a few different stem sizes and the time I used the 50mm stem, the bike felt great. It had the best balance between going up and down a hill so I'd like to stick to that size.
    • The Rookie
      The Rookie Posts: 27,812
      Most people don't notice 10mm in stem length, but 20mm they will, which is why many stems are marketed at 20mm intervals!

The Gussets OK, the Warhead very heavy and not really designed for a bike like a C456, the Zenith is the best option as others have said.
      Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.