Carbon Virgin !!

KonaMike
KonaMike Posts: 805
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
I am now the proud owner of my first carbon bike.
Its a Look 566 that I spotted in the local Bike Shop window about 8 months ago,I mentioned to the wife (as a joke) that it was in my size !! She went in the following day and started to pay it off for me as an wedding Anniversary surprise!!!
So Saturday I went to collect it and I love it !! A MASSIVE upgrade from my Giant Defy 4.

Only one problem........ I'm terrified of it !! Having never owned a Carbon bike before (Defy four has steel forks) I am a bit nervous of its tolerances,how strong it is and what torque to put on things when adjusting the setup,what to clean it with etc.
I am sure its just new bike nerves but any Carbon care tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Buy a torque key if you're worried, but a bit of common sense should suffice. Clean it with soapy water and a sponge.

Google "Santa Cruz carbon test video". It's not an inherently weak material*.

*Except it obviously will melt if it gets rained on.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Most parts will be labelled with max torque. Buy a torque wrench. £40 now will save you £100 later when you (don't) over torque a new carbon seatpost.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there is nothing on a frame that is affected by tightening.

a Torque setting is there mainly to stop people stripping threads on nuts or bolts.

and just use it and treat it as you would any bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cyclingprop
    nicklouse wrote:

a Torque setting is there mainly to stop people stripping threads on nuts or bolts.

Experience causes me to beg to differ. But then that could be a combination of tightness AND load placed on the component.
  • Even the carbon naysayers that I know use carbon forks. And which bit of your bike do you really not want to fail at speed?

Enjoy it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited August 2012
    nicklouse wrote:

Really? Are you saying that it doesn't matter how much I tighten my front mech clamp - it won't crack the seat tube?

I'd love to believe that as it would save me from much fear and paranoia.

To KonaMike - congrats on a great bike. Nice to see someone new join the select ranks of Look riders on BR. :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    until i see a picture i wont believe you.

Morning Rolf :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    spasypaddy wrote:
    until i see a picture i wont believe you.

Morning Rolf :lol:

Hello Mate - fancy seeing you here :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • KonaMike
    Thanks all for the speedy response !
    I was handling it like its made from Egg shell all weekend :roll:
    Cheers Rolf F ,I am really pleased with it,although its a much better bike than I am a rider :oops:
    I will get some pics up tonight,stuck in work at the moment wishing I was out riding.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    You sound like you have a great wife.
  • KonaMike

She is a legend !! She suffers from MS (relapsing/remitting) so can be very ill during a relapse,but she is one of the most happy,thoughtful and selfless people you could meet .......I wish I was half the person she is,I am a lucky man !!
    On a lighter note......what the hell am I going to get her for Christmas to top this ??!!!!!!! :shock:
  • cyclingprop
    KonaMike wrote:

She is a legend !! She suffers from MS (relapsing/remitting) so can be very ill during a relapse,but she is one of the most happy,thoughtful and selfless people you could meet .......I wish I was half the person she is,I am a lucky man !!
    On a lighter note......what the hell am I going to get her for Christmas to top this ??!!!!!!! :shock:

Sounds like you need to get something she doesn't know she wants yet (or believes is not possible).

Shoes or a new handbag should do it.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Lovely story. I'm sure you'll come up with something inspired in return!

Of course, none of this has actually taken place unless we get to see pictures of the new machine!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    nicklouse wrote:

If you over tighten a seat post bolt would the frame not crack?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    DON'T USE A FRAME FIT PUMP!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Mr Bails said that it will melt if it gets raind on. This is not true.
    It will only melt if it is used in the sun, it will dissolve if it gets rained on! :lol:
    Treat it like anything else you cherish, use it as it was made to be used and enjoy it.
    Nice to here a good news story.

Has your wife got a sister?
  • Sentral
    Sentral Posts: 64
    I'm assuming carbon is impervious to frost and high summer temps in the sun? At least I hope it is :wink:
  • Sentral wrote:
    I'm assuming carbon is impervious to frost and high summer temps in the sun? At least I hope it is :wink:
    Not a factor in the UK.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    nicklouse wrote:

If you over tighten a seat post bolt would the frame not crack?
    Mmm. And aren't some threads technically part of the frame - if you strip them, that's it. Pretty sure that this statement is cobblers, I'm afraid Nick.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Sentral wrote:
    No, it gets a bit sticky in the sun but is usually okay. But if the temperature goes below -10, it shatters. FACT.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    To be fair to Nick he is only a mountain biker so not a real cyclist.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • KonaMike
    I will post some pictures up on the weekend when hopefully I will be getting out on my first 'proper' test ride ....which will probably be a day of seat height and setup fettling !!