Next bike choice help - Cervelo S3, S-Works SL3, BMC SLR01

showbiz
showbiz Posts: 23
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a new bike and wanting your opinions/info on some of my choices as I'm starting to go round in circles!

I'll be buying second-hand - budget is around $3500AUD.

Here's what I'm interested in/what's on offer so far:

- 2010/2011 Cervélo S3
- 2011 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3
- 2011/12 Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod
- 2011 BMC TeamMachine SLR01

cervelo.jpgsworks.jpgcannondale.jpgbmc.jpg

**bikes pictured are shown as examples only.

Since I'm not buying/ordering new from a store, favorite frame color choices aren't a realistic option.
There's an Astana colorway SL3 listed, and also a Norwegian red S3 which I quite like.
I've read a lot of reviews and it seems like you can't really go wrong with the S3 or the SL3. Both top rated high-end race bikes, and the ones listed are very similar in terms of components (SRAM Red etc).

Please let me know your thoughts/opinions and also if there are any S3 riders out there, please let me know your frame size. Based on my current Trek, I'm thinking 58cm top-tube is accurate? (I'm 6'0-6'1").

Thanks as always!

Comments

• showbiz
    showbiz Posts: 23
    What do people think of the Team Astana colorway SL3 frame? From what I've read, it didn't sell well, but I don't mind it..
  • Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    Depends if you want an aero bike or not ....

if aero then S3 if not then S works tarmac SL4

cannondale supersix evo - checked this out in the flesh the other day and not impressed...external cable routing?! .. it's 2012!!
    BMC - looks gash!
  • I've got an S3 in the Norwegian Red...

7167093944_94b1448481.jpg

Haven't ridden any of the other bikes you have listed, although I do have a 2007 Spesh SL1. I reckon the S3 is a much better bike, it's much stiffer at the front end, the bars don't seem to flex as much as on the Spesh and it's a bit smoother overall when riding over poor quality surfaces.

The S3 is a 58cm frame and I'm just a fraction over 6' 2" if that helps.