What lock...

bowden769
bowden769 Posts: 143
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have had a look around for a bike lock but they are soo many round i am still unsure.

what locks do you guys have experiences with

My budget is £50 max

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any that complies with the small print of your insurance.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Transportable or static?

For my commuter I use a big motorbike lock and thick cable which live at work, at home I have a ground anchor, motrobike chain and cable.

Out and about I just don't leave the bike unattended!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bowden769
    it will be for out and about use really
  • The Rookie
    Nothing for £50 is going to secure your whol bike, but a decent D-lock (for locking the frame to something solid) and a cable (so you can try and keep your wheels) is the best you'll manage, as Nick says, if you have insurance see what that expects you to use!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bowden769
    really

what would you suggest then
  • The Rookie
    Well do you have insurnace and what does it require, then we can come up with some options! Otherwise I could fill a page with suggestions, most wouldn't be any good to you!

My defaults, Abus Granite plus D-lock ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/U-Lock-Granit-S ... 815&sr=1-2 ) and a 12mm cable (Halfords is OK).
  • starbuck
    starbuck Posts: 256
    I have a kryptonite new york lock. Normally match it with kryptonite cable to secure the wheels.

Generally when looking at locks, they'll have a security rating on it (think it's a thatcham rating). It's normally between bronze, silver and gold (gold obviously being the best). Gives you a rough idea how good a lock is likely to be. Remember that a lock is only as good as what you lock it to and nothing will resist a full on attack for a long time.

It may also be worth getting an electronic tag (of you don't already have one). A lot of police stations do this for free (they're often in high streets at certain times offering help on security etc) or you can get one for about £15. It won't stop your bike being nicked, but if it is stolen and recovered, the police can trace the owner.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nicklouse wrote:
    any that complies with the small print of your insurance.
    +1

And make sure you have insurance of course.

This is all that matters. Everything else is precaution and discouragement.

Prevention of theft is near impossible, but make it hard to nick, or just easier option is to not advertise the bike and keep it in the house rather than a nice safe quiet place for a thief to work in such as shed or garage.

By advertise I mean when transporting it, moving in and out the house etc, and also on the Internet. Posting up "here's my new bike" with a bunch of links in signatures etc to Facebook, twitter and all kinds that gives them a path to where you live is a great way to get it on their shopping list.
  • bowden769
    thanks for all the info guys

i have rung my insurance and as my bike worth is not worth more than 2k i dont need to get an approved lock for it. lol