is kryptonite series 2 safe enough?

slow_rider
slow_rider Posts: 6
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
I own one kryptonite series 2. But I recently changed my bike to a relatively more expensive one (600~700 pounds, well, not that much for many of you).

Do you think I should upgrade my lock too or not? I mainly use it for commute, and the bike will only stay at work from 9am to 6pm. It is an area outside of the building, usually with people around.

The lock is categorised as Silver sold secure which is marginally accepted by those bike insurance companies for bikes of this price.

If upgrade is needed, what would be the best one? I am not very keen on those heavy ones. What about those mini D-locks, such as kryptonite new york mini? Is it practically big enough?

thanks.

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The favourite solution for these circumstances (when your bike will be left in the same place every day) is to leave the lock at work. That way you can get one that's big and heavy enough to look after the bike, and not have to carry it around
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    If they really want your bike, no lock will stop a determined bike thief. The trick is to make yours more difficult to steal than the next one to discourage them targeting it, so by that reasoning it's always worth having a more secure lock. Is the place you lock your bike a public or private area? If the latter, maybe you can leave a heavy lock or chain there to save you carrying it around. The New York Mini usually scores high because it's compact size makes it harder to leverage open, however the size also restricts you to locking it to specific size poles.

There's a thread or article on LFGSS I think that does a comprehensive review on locks. Somebody will point you to it I'm sure.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    They will get your bike no matter which lock you have if they want it enough. I suggest making sure your insurance will pay it out if you bike if stolen when locked with the lock you have, if not upgrade to one that will. Take a picture of the bike locked up with the lock at work, so you can prove it was locked with a lock the insurance company accept, otherwise they may want proof of purchase of the lock, or the remains of the lock. Keep the reciept for the lock if you have it.

There is a thread on LFGSS on locks based on the time taken to defeat them which is worth a look.

A big chunky motorbike lock and chain left at work is not a bad idea....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    A guy I work with had a really good Krypto lock on his bike. So good that the would be thieves couldnt break the lock - but they bent his frame & rear wheel trying...

They left my bike alone with its 2 lesser locks.

I have read before that it is best to have 2 locks from 2 different manufacturers (in my case Abus & Krypto) as they all have different weaknesses and this means that even if the thieves know how to defeat one, the second may give them problems.

Whether this is what made my bike less attractive and why they went for his, I dont know - they were both similar value but mine was newer and in better condition.

As above - the key is probably to make your bike look less attractive or not worth the effort compared to another bike somewhere nearby...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    apreading wrote:
    I have read before that it is best to have 2 locks from 2 different manufacturers (in my case Abus & Krypto) as they all have different weaknesses and this means that even if the thieves know how to defeat one, the second may give them problems.

This is standard practice in Holland if you want to keep your bike!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Work areas probably aren't any more secure than other public spaces as per past complaints on here. In fact having so many bikes parked together is good for the thieves.

I use a massive lock at work (leave it there over night) so that my bike is the most secure in the busy rack. I bought the Kryponite New York chain, which can I suspect be used on motor cycles as it is a beast.

I even had positive reviews from one scroat I found "standing" next to my bike (on the street, not work) when I surprised him with a quick return to the bike.