This Road Bike lark is actually quite good!

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 464
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

Having been a mountain biker for some time, more interested in jumping, sliding and terrifying myself in dense woodland, i decided to give the road thing a whirl after doing the London to Brighton with some mates earlier this year and having quite a good laugh! Well, my neighbour and I went and bought good entry level bikes and today went for the first ride that was more than just a set up or fettle test. What a laugh and so different to MTBing, but to my surprise equally enjoyable, even in the rain we managed to hit 42.5 mph on one nice clear downhill section with good visibility. We also discovered Stava at the same time and tried that for the first time, what a training aid, managed 8th fastest on one section and 9th on another, which I am super pleased with as I'm a 18 stone lump, only averaged 13.9 mph, but as up until today average speed has never been a consideration, its another target to improve for training now. I guess the question is, will the road biking enhance my MTB skills and have my MTB skills bought something to help me and give me a head start on the road? Oh and i didnt fall out of the clipless pedals either which is an unexpected bonus!

So hello to the Road community from a new bicycual (is the the correct term for an MTBer and a Roadie?) :oops:
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ah - you see the thing about mountain biking is that it's technique and not speed youre generally interested in ...

Road biking you're more interested in steady speeds and smooth riding ...

Unless all your mountain biking has been downhill then I guess the burst type nature of that sort of riding will aid you in short climbs and sprints on a road bike. Practice on the long game on your road bike will have you able to sustain a higher power output over a longer period - how this translates into MTBing I wouldn't know - unless it enables you to ride back up that slope that I watch so many walking back up (as I pass by on the road - uphill, on my roadie!)

You can look at average speed - but don't dwell too much on it - so much will depend on the wind/weather & terrain that you can only really compare when you're doing the same course in the same weather!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,606

So hello to the Road community from a new bicycual (is the the correct term for an MTBer and a Roadie?) :oops:

Bike-sexual?
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I guess the question is, will the road biking enhance my MTB skills and have my MTB skills bought something to help me and give me a head start on the road? Oh and i didnt fall out of the clipless pedals either which is an unexpected bonus!

Peter Sagan and Cadel Evans both made the transition from MTB to road, and they seem to have done OK! And not just at unclipping...
  • iampaulb
    iampaulb Posts: 159
    Hi,

Having been a mountain biker for some time, more interested in jumping, sliding and terrifying myself in dense woodland, i decided to give the road thing a whirl after doing the London to Brighton with some mates earlier this year and having quite a good laugh! Well, my neighbour and I went and bought good entry level bikes and today went for the first ride that was more than just a set up or fettle test. What a laugh and so different to MTBing, but to my surprise equally enjoyable, even in the rain we managed to hit 42.5 mph on one nice clear downhill section with good visibility. We also discovered Stava at the same time and tried that for the first time, what a training aid, managed 8th fastest on one section and 9th on another, which I am super pleased with as I'm a 18 stone lump, only averaged 13.9 mph, but as up until today average speed has never been a consideration, its another target to improve for training now. I guess the question is, will the road biking enhance my MTB skills and have my MTB skills bought something to help me and give me a head start on the road? Oh and i didnt fall out of the clipless pedals either which is an unexpected bonus!

You as well Brindle?? I am in the same boat. I have been riding Downhill MTB for a little over a year. After coming back from Morzine on the DH and ruining all UK experiences. I decided to get into road riding after being inspired by TeamGB. As you say...what a laugh, only had my new bike a few weeks already clocked up some miles and speed. Same as you i reached 44.2mph on a downhill section OMG scary!!! Im also on strava too here, if you want to follow:

http://app.strava.com/athletes/iampaulb

All in All I am now a full fledged roadie, and embracing lyrca!!! Looking to sell my DH bike next year to get a AM bike. I cant see myself falling out of love with road riding though. Its a great laugh, and superb way to keep fit.
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    Well done on the downhill speed guys. I've been road biking it for about 2 years now and can't get past 37mph - and had I known I was doing that I'd've probably slowed down!

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • iampaulb wrote:
    Hi,

You as well Brindle?? I am in the same boat. I have been riding Downhill MTB for a little over a year. After coming back from Morzine on the DH and ruining all UK experiences. I decided to get into road riding after being inspired by TeamGB. As you say...what a laugh, only had my new bike a few weeks already clocked up some miles and speed. Same as you i reached 44.2mph on a downhill section OMG scary!!! Im also on strava too here, if you want to follow:

http://app.strava.com/athletes/iampaulb

All in All I am now a full fledged roadie, and embracing lyrca!!! Looking to sell my DH bike next year to get a AM bike. I cant see myself falling out of love with road riding though. Its a great laugh, and superb way to keep fit.

Ha, not sure about the Lycra yet, maybe in a few stones time!
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • Muffintop wrote:
    Well done on the downhill speed guys. I've been road biking it for about 2 years now and can't get past 37mph - and had I known I was doing that I'd've probably slowed down!

Mx

I have to admit, I didnt know I was doing this until I checked my Garmin at the bottom. I was too busy trying to stop my teeth chattering and my eyes streaming to dare look down, plus it was raining, all in all, great adrenalin rush, but probably not the cleverest thing I have ever done!
  • iampaulb
    Ha, not sure about the Lycra yet, maybe in a few stones time!

I even bought some bib shorts today, there is no going back now! lol Mind you i am only 66kilos - so i should be flying, but yet average speed is around 16/17mph :( my aim is to go to 20mph by the summer.

ultimate goal is to match wiggos at 32.5mph (what google said his average was)

but like you say what ever the speed, or how unfit you are. Its a good laugh and great experience, blasting through those country lanes and villages on a beautiful day is an amazing feeling
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think road and MTB complement each other very well. There's the endurance/pure fitness side of things from road that helps on long slogs on the MTB. The less knackered you are, the more you can concentrate on having fun.

And the technical skills gained from MTB mean you've got a better chance at keeping your face away from that painful tarmac!

I find the road bike is easier to just 'pick up and go'. Just a cereal bar or 2 and a pump in my back pocket (tube + levers are permanently ziptied under my saddle) and that's easily 30 miles of range without having to think about it. Once you get back it's just a case of putting the bike back where you got it from, versus the backpack full of survial gear, hour long drive each way and post ride 'de-mudding' session that comes with a lot of MTB rides.

I find MTB more of a rush, but I really enjoy the road bike too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • iampaulb
    Yea i found the road bike more of a pick up and go thing. Even if i have to put it in the car to get to the start of a ride. Its a lot easier than MTB. I generally got a roadie to get fitter for next seasons DH race season. However...being scared of big drops and huge doubles, i think ill be sticking firmly to the road and try some sportives.

one thing i love about DH over road riding, is that its only downhill! Climbing isnt my forte YET!!
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    iampaulb wrote:
    ultimate goal is to match wiggos at 32.5mph (what google said his average was)

You might want to compare the terrain you're riding on first!
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Another rider of both MTB and road bikes for the same reason as you OP.

I live about an hours drive from 2 great trails (guisborough and Hamsterley) but just wanted to be able to walk out the door and ride as available time is a bit of an issue. Road biking is great and with the help of strava I can see my improvements.

There is something about getting on the trails and negotiating the routes that still puts a smile on my face too.