which Bike Paint Protection Film

dashik
dashik Posts: 156
edited October 2016 in Road beginners
So as per the title really.

My shiney new Allez arrives Wednesday and true to form it's looking like a typical Scottish Summer :wink::D

So before I get out there and get the frame all dinged with stone chips, mud and general road debris, what bike frame paint protection film would you reccommend ?

Cheers

JAmes

Comments

• giner1961
    giner1961 Posts: 135
    Hi

There is not a lot you can do for the frame as a whole, just use some good wax.

The best thing to do is use some insalation tape on the bits of the frame where you would get cable rub, usually the head tube, and also put some tape on the chainstay, on the chain side to protect from chain whiplash.
  • Eh, yeah you can help protect it with helicopter tape. It's clear tape that goes on best with a bit of heat like a hairdryer. Loads of info if you Google it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Plus 1 to helicopter tape. You can also use fablon for stone chip risk areas only (ie it isn't tough enough IMO for cable rub points). The advantage with fablon is that a fiver gets you metres of the stuff!

I mostly just do all the cable rub points with helicopter tape or similar plus the drive side chainstay. Non drive side chainstay with fablon and crank arms with fablon. Crudracer mounting points with helicopter tape.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I have just done a quick google for Fablon and all I can see is DIY type stores selling it in big squares with different patterns on it... could anyone suggest a link to the most appropriate product, preferably one which you have bought yourself?

Also, my forks are well marked after the LBS fittedmy raceblades without the protective tape first back when I was a newbie - nothing I can do about this - but when I recently bougth new raceblades and I applied the clear tape provided, I found it was much to slippery anyway to hold the raceblades which keps sliding off centre. Is helicopter tape / Fablon more "grippy"?
  • rolf_f
    Secteur wrote:
    I have just done a quick google for Fablon and all I can see is DIY type stores selling it in big squares with different patterns on it... could anyone suggest a link to the most appropriate product, preferably one which you have bought yourself?

I got mine from B&Q but last time I looked it wasn't listed on their website. It came as a fairly substantial wallpaper like roll. Fablon is a brand name though so you could probably try more descriptive Google searches.

Don't know what would work best for Raceblades - I use Cruds and both Fablon and Heli tape (actually, I've used the extravagently expensive sets of clear tape you can get in the shops - the ones which include some pre-cut shapes that are never quite what you want!) and it works well enough.
  • dashik
    dashik Posts: 156
    Well seeing as the bike arrives tomorrow I've bought a Bike Guard kit from Evans so we will see what that's like.
  • mkviken
    mkviken Posts: 217
    i got some 3M clear film with my bike and did the chain stay, head stock and front forks

i ran out and didnt do the down tube and wish i had cos my bike got scratched at the weekend in the lorry taking bikes to the start of a ride. looks like a pedal had been rubbing on my frame.

bought some more 3M film to fit there now...
  • rolf_f
    Dashik wrote:
    Well seeing as the bike arrives tomorrow I've bought a Bike Guard kit from Evans so we will see what that's like.

If it's Bike Shield that's the expensive stuff I got. It's fine but you don't get stacks of it hence my use of the fablon as well.

I haven't use the chainstay protector piece as I tend to make my own to wrap round the side of the stay as well.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    giner1961 wrote:
    Hi

There is not a lot you can do for the frame as a whole, just use some good wax.

The best thing to do is use some insalation tape on the bits of the frame where you would get cable rub, usually the head tube, and also put some tape on the chainstay, on the chain side to protect from chain whiplash.
    Theres plenty you can do. 3M do a few types of chip protection tape, mine is in 2m x 300mm strips and you can cut and shape it to anywhere you want.
    On my track bikes done chain stays, BB area where chain may come off and rub, and seat stay top and fork top where wheel may rub is wheel pulls out.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Another vote for Helicopter Tape. Also known as Polyurethane Adhesive Tape. Make sure you get the outdoor/UV ray resistant version.
  • Hey Guys,

I know I am digging up an old thread here, so sorry if people find it irrelevant.

To answer Dashik's original question, here's a link to our film types page: https://www.cyclewrap.co.uk/filmtypes

Because Cyclewrap bespoke install Paint Protection Films, we only offer the best (it's not worth it to use 2nd best)

If you are interested, please message us, visit us at www.cyclewrap.co.uk, or on our social media sites and would be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks & Regards

Chris

www.cyclewrap.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/cyclewrap
    www.instagram.com/cyclewrapUK