Looking for a light weight "sit up & beg" bike

carmenktj
carmenktj Posts: 7
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Hello everyone,

I'm kinda new to the world of cycling. I used to have a bike when I was younger but then stopped riding when I learnt to drive. I've been on a bike a couple of times in the past year, I can still ride but not confident.. think that just needs to build the more I ride.

I want to have a change of lifestyle and start commuting to work by cycling.
I have tested a "Sit up and beg" bike ...really like the seating position and is very comfortable to ride.

At first I was looking at getting second hand, seeing as I'm gona be a newbie, but I realised cannot find a "sit up and beg" bike cheaply (under 100).

..So I think my only option is to buy new?

I've seen this bike: http://www.bikesdirect365.com/products/ ... adies.html

Can't find many places that sell Kingston brand but ebay and amazon.. anyone have any opinions on this bike or brand?

I would like a lightweight bike because I am small 5"1 and want something easy to manage (going up steps etc).

After doing a bit of research, found I like the look of the "Bobbin Brownie", weighing in at 13kgs sounds appealing.... but double the price of the Kingston Hampton! :| (Kingston Hampton weighs 17kgs)

They both have 7 gears, so useful if I take it on recreational adventures other than commuting.
They both have rear rack mounts, so I can put my shopping on the back.
They both look pretty.. have mud guards.. brown saddle and handle grips..
The Kingston has a basket, the Bobbin Brownie doesn't.. :?

Bobbin brand hasn't been around for long, Kingston-can't even find a website for them..

Can you give your opinions as to which bike I should go for? My intentions is to use this bike in replace of a car, to commute and supermarket shopping. Will the cheaper bike be just as comfortable and reliable as the expensive one?

Please do suggest any other bikes you might think is suitable :)

Comments

• for the style of bike you're after it seems pretty good value. The downside to cheaper bikes as you've found out is that it will weigh more and probably not as durable but tbh the quality looks good for the money. I was going to suggest looking at the Pendleton range at Halfords but they are a lot more dosh.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    17 kg is very heavy - twice the weight of a light road bike (that's obviously an unfair comparison, but worth thinking about if you want to lift it up stairs). I'd also suggest that at the lower end of the market, spending a little extra is worth the investment in the long term. Cheap bikes can be a false economy as you end up spending money fixing them all the time. Have you seen this feature in the Guardian? They have good things to say about a different Bobbin.
  • lc1981 wrote:
    17 kg is very heavy - twice the weight of a light road bike (that's obviously an unfair comparison, but worth thinking about if you want to lift it up stairs). I'd also suggest that at the lower end of the market, spending a little extra is worth the investment in the long term. Cheap bikes can be a false economy as you end up spending money fixing them all the time. Have you seen this feature in the Guardian? They have good things to say about a different Bobbin.

Yes, I have seen this article, they talk about the Birdie on this one... after going on Bobbins website, found that the Brownie is the lighter model and with 7 gears... and funnily enough... cheaper than the Birdie? lol
  • lc1981
    carmenktj wrote:
    Yes, I have seen this article, they talk about the Birdie on this one... after going on Bobbins website, found that the Brownie is the lighter model and with 7 gears... and funnily enough... cheaper than the Birdie? lol

Probably because the other one has hub gears, which must be more expensive than derailleur gears. The hub will also be quite heavy, which perhaps accounts for the weight difference.
  • oh i see.. ic1981, thanks
    so do you think a Bobbin for £345 is worth the money?
  • lc1981
    carmenktj wrote:
    oh i see.. ic1981, thanks
    so do you think a Bobbin for £345 is worth the money?

Well, I don't know much about the brand, but they seem to be getting some good press. I would think it's a better bet than the Kingston, if you're willing to spend a little more.
  • JamesB5446
    JamesB5446 Posts: 471
    Have a look at Dutchies. I've got a 3 speed on for going to work, popping to the shops etc.
    Heavy, but does the job. £320.

£400 gets you an 8 speed version.

http://www.dutchie.co.uk/dutch-bikes/

Coaster brake is a bit of a pain in the arse mind, I think I'll be swapping it at some point.
  • Thanks JamesB5446, just had a look at Dutchie.. nice. they're seats are a bit high.. I have short legs and they're smallest size one is 28" inside leg. . I'll have to think about that one.
  • JamesB5446
    JamesB5446 Posts: 471
    Yeah, they give you a good high position to see over cars, but if you're little they might be a bit awkward.
  • just changed the subject of this post from "Opinions of the Kingston Hampton City Shopper Bike" to "Looking for a light weight "sit up & beg" bike".

Seeing as I'm veering towards spending more money on a bicycle.. might as well find out what else is out there that's similar.

Does anyone have and experience or suggestions?
  • Have stumbled across another contender.. Pinnacle Californium, there's a "one" and "two" model, one with 3 gear hub and the other with 7 gear. Both similar price to the Bobbin Brownie.

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/pinna ... e-ec035864

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/pinna ... e-ec035863

Does anyone own one or can tell me if you know anything about these bikes? Does anyone know the weight of these bikes?
  • lc1981
    Pinnacle is Evans' own brand of bikes. I imagine they're well-made and quite good value.