What's a sensible time

boogi11
boogi11 Posts: 354
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, what would be a sensible time for a 109 mile sportive with three food stops, Iwith 5000ft of climbing, I'm thinking somewhere between 6 and 7.5 hrs, this is my first sportive and my first distance of 100, that's somewhere between 15 and 18 mph

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Anything below 6 hours for a 100 miles is a fair time, so if you take your stops and that extra 9 miles off you won't be far off.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    That's a whole lot of climbing and a whole lot of miles. I think you had best plan on a pretty long day in the saddle. Even if you average near 15 MPH you're going to be out there at least 8 hours and that's not really counting food stops, etc.
  • dennisn
    Bozman wrote:
    Anything below 6 hours for a 100 miles is a fair time, so if you take your stops and that extra 9 miles off you won't be far off.

I would question whether a FIRST TIMER is going to finish a ride like he's contemplating, what with all that climbing and mileage, in anywhere near 6 hours.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Should this really be in the beginners section ??
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    RandG wrote:
    Should this really be in the beginners section ??

The OP has already asked on another thread if its possible for him to do the 109 miles next Sunday.

I just hope the weather is good.
  • Bozman
    dennisn wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

I would question whether a FIRST TIMER is going to finish a ride like he's contemplating, what with all that climbing and mileage, in anywhere near 6 hours.

Does the first timer refer to a ton or first long ride, upto 18 average was quoted and 17 would put you under 6 hrs.
    I did my first 100 in 5:40ish with a couple of pee stops and the furthest I'd cycled before was 70. As long as you're hydrated and nibble a bit on your way round it shouldn't be a problem.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Does a beginner do 18mph average ??
  • Bozman
    RandG wrote:

You'd think so going by some of the posts on here but.....
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Certainly not this bunny
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    RandG wrote:

Don't know whether OP is a beginner, but beginners doing 18 average over 100 miles...my arse. :lol:

So while not knowing OPs experience (and hey, he might be better than me for all i know)...at 54, with 10 to 15 years regular cycling and commuting...i'd maybe manage 15mph average over 100...i can just about do 18 mph over 20 or 30 miles.
    Even at 15 mph (which isnt hanging around), you're looking at 7 hours plus breaks.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    boogi11 wrote:
    Hi, what would be a sensible time for a 109 mile sportive with three food stops, Iwith 5000ft of climbing, I'm thinking somewhere between 6 and 7.5 hrs, this is my first sportive and my first distance of 100, that's somewhere between 15 and 18 mph
    To do that sort of time over that distance and climbing is very unlikely for a first timer unless you are already very fit and have done a lot of cycling, even if at shorter distances. Even then you would have to be riding in a group with benefit of drafting behind others.
  • dennisn
    Bozman wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

Does the first timer refer to a ton or first long ride, upto 18 average was quoted and 17 would put you under 6 hrs.
    I did my first 100 in 5:40ish with a couple of pee stops and the furthest I'd cycled before was 70. As long as you're hydrated and nibble a bit on your way round it shouldn't be a problem.

He said "first distance of 100". I'm sort of wondering about his 5000 ft. of climbing. That's one h*ll of a lot of vertical and one h*ll of a hill if done in one shot. I'm wondering if he has somehow confused this 5000 vertical feet with something else or if I'm confusing 5000 ft. with something else?
  • Bozman
    dennisn wrote:
    Bozman wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

He said "first distance of 100". I'm sort of wondering about his 5000 ft. of climbing. That's one h*ll of a lot of vertical and one h*ll of a hill if done in one shot. I'm wondering if he has somehow confused this 5000 vertical feet with something else or if I'm confusing 5000 ft. with something else?
    It'll be 5000ft of ascent over the 100 miles, that sounds about right.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Bozman wrote:

I'll get my coat. :(
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    5000ft is a good bit of climbing but it's not a crazy amount. Especially not if spread over 100 miles. I usually get half that done in a 40km loop from my house. And that's without particularly looking for the steep stuff. He might struggle to do it in the time he thinks though.

Good luck OP anyway.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Certainly not this bunny
    Not this one either, I'm just getting up to 13mph average, but that's not counting the 2 minute stops gasping for breath during a climb :(
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The event organisers may well have different awards for elapsed time, e.g. gold, silver and bronze standard. Check their website to see what they consider to be par for the course.

Every course is different; don't clock watch too much though or you won't enjoy it. Just try to have fun.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    I don't understand why people are so hung up on average speed and time. It's not a race, it's a ride, a challenge. Take it steady, enjoy the day and don't worry about how fast you go. There will be plenty of people faster than you and lots slower. If you try to maintain a very high average (and 15 - 18 is high) you could well burn yourself out in the first 50 miles. If you do, the last 50 will not be very nice at all!
  • boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    Hi again

To clarify, this is my first 109 miles, prior to that the most I have done is 55 in one shot, done this a few times, I'm averaging between 60 and 100 miles a week and been doing it for3 months I'm very fit, but packing an extra few stone, and it says 4846 ft if climbing?

Not bothered by the time at all, other than if I end up cycling in the dark, of get picked up by the broom wagon, and I think I'll average 15mph but this is based on nothing more than a guess
  • Bozman
    BobScarle wrote:
    I don't understand why people are so hung up on average speed and time. It's not a race, it's a ride, a challenge. Take it steady, enjoy the day and don't worry about how fast you go. There will be plenty of people faster than you and lots slower. If you try to maintain a very high average (and 15 - 18 is high) you could well burn yourself out in the first 50 miles. If you do, the last 50 will not be very nice at all!

I use average speed as drive, I generally ride alone, I've got dozens of routes that I've logged so I'll use previous times as a target to aim for, you have weather conditions and off days but it's worked well for me.
    I've cycled for roughly twenty yrs but 18 yrs of that was commuting and short runs, it's only been the last couple of years that I've started to push myself and using average speed has helped me no end, I used to have hammer myself to hit 18 miles in an hour but now I'll get that on a 70 mile run in to the staff moors and peak. I just wish I had this drive at 24 and not 44.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    BobScarle wrote:
    I don't understand why people are so hung up on average speed and time. It's not a race, it's ... a challenge.
    I think you answered your own question "it's a challenge" and part of that challenge is finishing in a time you feel is good for your level of ability. Anyone can do 100 miles if they do it over 5 days.

I just did my first 102 miler with 5000 foot (approx) of ascent. I managed a 16mph average, came in at 6 hrs 50 min, stopped for 10 mins to fix a friends puncture, then for 20 minutes at the 2nd feed stop. I had done 2 x 80 milers before the event and had been cycling 3 times a week to prepare for the event.
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    I quite agree that average speed is a motivator. However this needs to be in context. I use my average speed over a well ridden 30 mile loop and try to push myself to beat it. On the other hand, the OP has posted in the beginners section saying that he has only ridden half of his target distance. Pushing yourself on a known 30 mile ride is completely different to doing it on an unknown 109 mile route. My fear would be that he may well push himself too hard too early in order to get a good time. I would say, and it's only my opinion, that it is better to finish an event and think you could have gone quicker, than to get back in the back of a van.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i did a 68 mile sportive when my previous longest as 60 miles.i didn't know any of the route so couldn't push it like i would have.plus 18 mph over 100 miles? id settle for 18 mph for an hour!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    boogi11 wrote:
    Hi again

To clarify, this is my first 109 miles, prior to that the most I have done is 55 in one shot, done this a few times, I'm averaging between 60 and 100 miles a week and been doing it for3 months I'm very fit, but packing an extra few stone, and it says 4846 ft if climbing?

Not bothered by the time at all, other than if I end up cycling in the dark, of get picked up by the broom wagon, and I think I'll average 15mph but this is based on nothing more than a guess
    Your sportive is not as hilly as I first thought as I just looked back at a sportive I did last year. I did the medium route which was 'only' 56 miles, but looking back at my Garmin stats, it 4,860 feet of ascent. Now that was tough and I was pleased with an average of 12.4 mph on my Audax bike. However that time didn't include food stops etc. My true published average including these stops was only 11.3 mph. I think I could do it a bit faster now as I have a lighter bike and now would use 'clipless' pedals.

I think that you will do very well over 109 miles to get a true average anywhere near 15mph, especially if you are not that bothered about time. If you are in a group or join a group of riders and get pulled along for a lot of the ride, that's a different matter, as you then will get a faster time. However my advice would be just go out and enjoy it.
  • dcomp
    dcomp Posts: 43
    RandG wrote:

This beginner definitely doesn't....

I'm 6ft, a little over a stone heavier than I'd like ( having already lost 2 and a half), I'm not particularly fit but carrying 17 and a half stone for years gave me leg power other 'beginners' may not have....

I have been doing 20 mile runs every morning and the fastest I've been able to pull out of the bag for that distance was 14.4mph yesterday morning.

This morning would have been slightly faster I think but I crashed spectacularly on the second fastest section of my route (25mph at mile 16).

Average of 15 for 20 miles is my first target but that's even further off after 4 hours in A & E today.

100 miles is the ultimate first real goal but average speed of 18 for that distance??? Maybe in a year if I work hard!

Passion is currently far greater than ability, stamina, skill, speed, in fact, everything!!!

Dom
  • mike101
    mike101 Posts: 42
    I guess it depends how a beginner is defined? Everyone is different and will be happy with different levels of performance dependent on fitness etc
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    My first sportive was last month - 101 miles with 10,000 feet of climbing and it took me 7.5 hours which left me pretty much in the middle of the times. I'm a regular but mediocre club cyclist and pretty poor climber (I also bonked 90 miles in and lost 30 minutes to the friends I was riding with by the end). So based on that and depending on your own level of fitness taking into acount the slightly longer distance but significantly less climbing I would say around 7 - 7.5 hours would be reasonable. The suggestion that 6 hours is reasonable for a beginner is absurd, that would probably be gold standard on many sportives.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Remember to have a good meal the night before, and a big sh!t in the morning.
    Weather outlook is pretty good.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    8 hours -ish
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • In my third year of riding road bikes again after a 12 year gap (mountain bikes in between) and my third manchester 100miler my time was down on last year (i know its not hilly), Why ? well weather for one it was very wet at the start and the descents were tricky so i went half my normal speed, someone spilled and ended up in hospital in front of me. Suffered a back pain after 60miles. The crunch is i am much fitter stronger and faster and lighter than i was 3 years ago, but if the day does not turn out as planned average speed watching can really knock your confidence, dont worry to much about it 7-8 hours should be o.k and dont worry about stopping.

my times were i am 42 an 75kg 5'8"
    year1 : 6hr 40mins
    year2 : 5hr 48mins
    year3 : 6hrs 4mins

JUST ENJOY IT.
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1