First (Imperial) 100

chorlton chimp
chorlton chimp Posts: 112
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Way back in January myself and two friends signed up to do the 100km Manchester 100 ride next weekend. Since then my riding has come on an awful lot and having done 4 or 5 metric 100's was regretting not putting in for the hundred miler as on my last 110K ride I had quite a bit left in the tank.

Last saturday I determined to give the 100 mile route a go and set out armed with directions downloaded off the net. I duly cracked the distance with an average speed of a little over 15mph , which on a flat route is nothing to shout about but I was quite pleased with myself regardless.

My advice to anyone thinking of pushing on to a three figure distance is to go do it, but with the following thoughts.

1) The advice about increasing distance in jumps of 10% is sound - I went from 68 miles straight on to the 100. The last twenty miles were pretty miserable.
2) A list of directions does not route planning make. If you are heading off to unfamiliar roads buy (and take) a map. That way your first attempt at 100 miles doesn't become 115 miles - like mine did (see above comment re: last 20).
3) Start early. My travelling time was about 7.5 hours but with lunch stop and lots of googlemap checking (see point 2 above) I was out for 10 hours. The clouds had come in and it was getting pretty dark and my lights were at home.
4) If using Strava, don't forget to restart it if you pause it when you stop for lunch. It's somewhat frustrating not to have a record of such a big milestone.
5) Use more chamois creme than usual - I was on the verge of a nasty chafing incident.
6) Try to do your attempt on a day when somebody is available to pick you up in case it all goes wrong. I didn't do this and had visions of being found half dead in a cheshire ditch the following morning.
7) If possible don't do it solo - when it's getting tough it would be nice to have a mate to spark off, or at least to know they feel worse than you! :wink:
8) The night before prep should probably not be 7 guinness followed by a chicken madras scoffed at 2330 before going to bed at 0100.

All somewhat rambling but my point is that it can be done with imperfect prep and planning and still be, for the most part, a rewarding experience. Next time I will be properly ready!

Comments

• boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    Very happy about this, I'm doing 109 next week, I'm a little ill prepared, but have plenty of stubbornness. I'm climbing 5k feet, but they are rolling hills, I'm expecting somewhere between 7 and 8 hours, but we shall see
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Congrats 8)

Don't forget to plan your food and water intake also, and ensure you take enough to see you through :wink:

Did my first 100 miles last weekend, and as you the last 1/4 was the hardest :|
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Congratulations! Some really good advice there. Thanks for sharing it. Not ready for 100 miles yet but building up to my 240 over 3 days. Did 57 yesterday and went out today on my old bike with the intention of a recovery ride using only the 39T. It was windy and my legs were sore so I grinded out 24 miles and now my legs are really stiff!!!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    For my first 100 mile ride I went from 68 to 100 and on unknown roads through three counties. In all honesty I felt no different but for a bit tender where the sun don't shine for the last 15 or 20. Legs were fine but I felt stronger the next day than after the 68 despite a slightly better pace. Rolling hills for the first halfish and flat for the last 30 with slight head and cross winds, but the sense of achievement was a good motivator. Took advantage to stand up whenever I could to give the backside some relief knowing it would get tough layer on. Drank regularly and refuelled before energy dropped. I'd do it more often if I had the time.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.