Upgrading a 1999 Specialized FSR Sport

wadenels
wadenels Posts: 2
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've got a 1999 Specialized FSR Sport, all stock. The fork is a Manitou Spyder and the rear shock looks a little smaller than the newer 6.5" shocks I've seen.

I ride a lot of pavement on my way to the trails, and the trails I run are moderately technical. I've got a couple of questions.

First, the running gear:
I used to have to adjust the derailleurs every once in a while, then every few rides, and now they get a little out of line during the course of the single ride. I'm thinking about upgrading the entire set with Shimano Alivio gear. I plan to keep my actual gears for now, as they're in pretty good shape, and I'm on a budget. How do the Alivios hold up over time? I've read quite a few reviews, and it seems to me that they should be able to do the job for this old bike.

Second, the suspension:
My fork has gotten pretty soft. I've tried stiffening it up to no avail. I'm in the 150lb/68k range, and it feels a bit squishy to me. I believe it's a 17.5" fork, but most the good replacements I've looked at are a full inch taller. Also, most the rear shocks I've seen are around a half-inch longer. I think that a longer fork & rear shock combo should keep the geometry pretty sane, but I'm worried about being too hard on the frame with newer and stiffer components.

Ideas, thoughts?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Gears going out of adjustment sounds like cable problems, I'd give these a good clean first. Alivio is good stuff, but Deore can be had at very good prices.

The rear shock must have the same shock eye to eye length and shock stroke - you need to measure this.

The fork - just about any 80-100mm travel fork (that fits) will be fine.