question about halfords

jon3619
jon3619 Posts: 75
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Hey

If you.purchase a bike from halfords are they premade or do you have to wait a couple of days for them to build it?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Bikes come to most shop assembled
  • jon3619
    So f I go into halfords ask gor a carrera vulcan and pay for it they should roll it out and I can ride it away the same day?
  • also if you register your credit / debit cards with quidco you'll get 4.5% cashback
  • jon3619
    Cool ill go get one tomorrow! I heard you buy it andthey ring you the next day for pick up
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    *As long as they have it in stock!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It depends on the shop. Most bike shops have display units, then boxed bikes that need basic assembly. You will not be able to walk in and ride out, you might have to wait while the build it, which may be a day or so.
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    At my local if you order the bike before a certain time you can take it home the same day but it depends how busy they are from personal experience.
    The best thing to do is order online the night before to collect in store.
  • jon3619
    I wud do it online but I aint sure onf my framw size lol
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    jon3619 wrote:
    Hysterical indeed lol!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jon3619 wrote:
    Hysterical indeed lol!
    lol?
    ps has a Lola in it.
    LMAOROTFLLOLROFL
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JayKay3000
    JayKay3000 Posts: 163
    Don't know the framw size? Basics mam. Bacsis.

(lol :roll:)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    JayKay3000 wrote:
    Don't know the framw size? Basics mam. Bacsis.

(lol :roll:)
    Sheepsteeth's mum lives in Rhyl. She's pretty basic.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    No, you wont be able to roll it out the shop there and then, basically all the bikes are boxed and require some minimal assembly (front wheel, bars, seat, pedals, sort out gears and brakes etc.) unless you obviously want to build it yourself you can take them home boxed up on the spot. But normally its a day or so.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Depends how much the shop wants to flog the bike. My boss used to make me turn them around out of the garage more or less in the time the customer could drink a cup of tea.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Why don't you phone the shop and ask them?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • i worked in halfords when i was a student, so things may have changed over the years - but bikes would come in 1 of two options

1. Boxed (fit wheels / peddals / attach sadle to seatpost and turn bars around)
    2. Shrouded (hung from a peg) - put peddals on !

From memory carerra bikes were boxed

FYI - things might have changed, but we were ok to give 10-20% discount if people pushed for one, without the managers consent

A good day to buy is on a saturday - as that is when weekly targets end, so sales are vital + as the bike staff get so busy building, but still want to sell the bikes they will normally knock 10-20% off for taking the bike boxed and building yourself to save them the time

but as i said this was 10 years ago ! but worth a try still
  • jon3619 wrote:
    Cool ill go get one tomorrow! I heard you buy it andthey ring you the next day for pick up

They 'build' it, in that they tighten the stem bolts and fit the pedals, and supposedly set up the gears and brakes. :lol:
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    AAddict wrote:
    jon3619 wrote:

They 'build' it, in that they tighten the stem bolts and fit the pedals, and supposedly set up the gears and brakes. :lol:
    sounds the same as my lbs and that isn't a halfords :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    They need at least 24 hours to set the brakes up so they bind and set the gears up so badly they automatically change randomly up and down as you pedal.

Can you tell I had to set up a bike from a well known retailer the other day.

Not just Halfords though I saw a guy on a new Orbea full suss with his forks on backwards wobbling down the road I caught him up and told him he had a problem and he said thats how the shop gave it to him. I told him to take it back and get it set up properly, I would have done the job for him but was only cycling to shops and didnt have a multi tool with me.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So you think that every Halfords has very bike in every size (a few hundred choices then) in at all times? No, its very unlikely you can stroll in and ride out! You may even have to wait a couple of days so they get the bike in you want in the famw size you want.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    elredso wrote:
    i worked in halfords when i was a student, so things may have changed over the years - but bikes would come in 1 of two options

1. Boxed (fit wheels / peddals / attach sadle to seatpost and turn bars around)
    2. Shrouded (hung from a peg) - put peddals on !

From memory carerra bikes were boxed

FYI - things might have changed, but we were ok to give 10-20% discount if people pushed for one, without the managers consent

A good day to buy is on a saturday - as that is when weekly targets end, so sales are vital + as the bike staff get so busy building, but still want to sell the bikes they will normally knock 10-20% off for taking the bike boxed and building yourself to save them the time

but as i said this was 10 years ago ! but worth a try still

As I work at Halfords now I feel I should be posting some info here...

Just to clear things up, only certain bikes have a "take it away boxed" discount, the Trax variety, all bikes are boxed and as said above require some minimal assembly (something even some people under the company still cant do).

Display bikes are ONLY sold if the bike is no longer available at head office and/or obsolete. Sometimes if the manager is in a good mood I'm sure you can get some small discount but its highly unlikely they will knock as much as 20% off, maybe throw in a few cans of GT85 or something or other.

But like any place, you find a good store (tumbleweed) that is actually passionate about bikes, you'll get some good service and perhaps even discount. Had two LBS try and tell me the other day 29er tubes didn't exist.

Don't judge one company by the actions of a few staff, hungover teens assembling bikes should become a crime anyway, or at least punished. There are staff there who know there stuff and just get pigeon holed by idiots.
  • I think the whole Halfords good vs Halfords bad has been covered plenty of times already now.

OP did you get your bike in the end?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco