Advice for a nub

negativelycra
negativelycra Posts: 225
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi forum,

I've been cycling for a heady 6 weeks now, and so far the difference to my body shape has been great, but I want to make sure that I can keep motivated and get properly fit, rather than less fat.
Currently, my bike is a second hand Trek 4500, but with road tyres, mudguards etc. It's a canny bike, but my chain snapped (twice in 1 ride), and despite fiddling with it (following youtube guides), since then both front and rear shifting is irratic / farcical / causes chain to slip etc.

Meanwhile, on even slight descents I run out of gear, which sort of hurts the fun downhill bits after a slog - most of my routes ae hilly (cheshire),

1 - Get current bike serviced, concentrate on beating my own times on Strava.

2 - Use current sale window and pick up a 2012 bargain, concentrate on getting to 20mph for 25 miles and join the local club (might take a while though!)

3 - Wait till spring, get nice shiny 2013 bike on the cyclescheme, then aim for 2 above.

I think clipless pedals will help me, but I'm not going to go that way unless I can trust my cogs - so either way I'm spending money. I'm just weighing up the benefits of putting more money into my ebay special, or starting afresh on a roadie.. Any advice welcome, even if it is "pedal harder" =)

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    IMHO spend the money on a new(er) bike. You'll end up getting one anyway, so why throw money at the Trek.

Lots of 2012 bargains if you look, especially if you're tall or short.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Providing your current steed is not totally crap and can be sorted by your LBS then just use it through the winter and keep it as a winter bike.

Get yourself a Xmas 2012 bargain bike ready for spring.

Get some clip less pedals ASAP, you won't be throwing money away coz you will use them on the new bike anyway.