Any of you do moderate weight training as well?

Eternal-Bcb
Eternal-Bcb Posts: 25
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
So it was just a thought I've been having as I went to the gym this morning and have now just got back from a 25 mile ride, and wondered if any of you do 'moderate' weight training?

I've been doing it for a couple of years mainly as a way to stay fit before cycling but now alternate between the two during the week and on weekends do both. By moderate btw I mean in the sense of staying fit like I said before and not with the aim of packing on extra lbs of muscle.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Yes, but it doesn't have to be moderate. Too much misconception is placed on the heavier the weight the bigger you bulk. People bulk because of the supplements they take. Merely lifting heavy weights won't make you bulk. You train to exhaustion so your last lift is almost a fail, so with heavy weight you achieve near failure after six or ten reps repeating the exercise three or more times. With light weights you need to do a lot more reps to achieve near failure.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yes.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Yes I do 4 weights sessions a week. Weights + cardio = win.
  • Avant
    Avant Posts: 29
    Yep - try and weight train 2x per week,.
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    yep, do 3-4 sessions a week to top up the cardio from the bike :)
  • DipLloyd
    DipLloyd Posts: 23
    Yes, I squat a lot and have found that I'm pretty good at sprinting because of it. Shame about my endurance though :roll: .
  • JamesB5446
    JamesB5446 Posts: 471
    Some times. I need to do more. I've got quite big legs, my squat and dead lift are ok. My bench is poor.

On this subject, any one have recomendations where to get cheap, decent-ish olympic weights from?
  • Avant
    Avant Posts: 29
    Keep an eye on Amazon - occasionaly the price drops. Athough it does seem the price of plates has been going up.

I struggle with the bench to, I found using the 5x5 routine helped a bit.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i don't think there is any problem with a bit of weight training, i personally intend to start a circuit that i will do even just twice a week but will try and tailor it do help the cycling too if i can.plus it will actually help you stay lean!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • iampaulb
    iampaulb Posts: 159
    I use to only do weights before xmas, got a pretty bulky size. Then started to work in London and got lazy.
    Only started weights again this weekend, i have lost roughly 10 kilos because of it, now at 66 kilos. I am planning to do a light to moderate weights session to go with the riding i do. Mainly to help with riding and to stay in shape

like someone else said. Cardio + Weights = WIN
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    Yes, squats particularly seem to help my riding.

@James
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    On this subject, any one have recomendations where to get cheap, decent-ish olympic weights from?

Local search on the bay of E and sign up to a emial everytime something gets listed in your area. It does take time, but I recently got 100 kgs of stanard plates for 50p a kilo, whereas in the shops its £2 a kilo generally.
  • JamesB5446
    JamesB5446 Posts: 471
    Wow, that's really cheap. Cheers for the tip, I'll go take a look.