Lightest bike under £650?

logit
logit Posts: 9
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, i'm looking to pick up a couple of HTs for me and the missus, and was wondering if some bikes were lighter than others? I've had a quick look at some specs and they all seem to be around the same weight at this price point. Obviously I'm not going to get an 11kg bike for this price, but the Boardmans seem to be slightly lighter on paper but I'm not sure if it would make any difference in person. Also not sure if i'm keen in SRAM...

Thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing wrong with SRAM, the latest ones are just as tolerant of mud as the Shimano's which was the only real weakness.

If weight is that critical, go with the Boardmans, what usage though?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • logit
    logit Posts: 9
    Just gentle tails (forest paths) at the mo... the missus isn't ready for anything more. Tbh could probably make do with a hybrid but want something future proof as will definitely be upping the ante as soon as she's able to.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Boardman or maybe the KHS airlite (or something) range.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or save a few pennies and go with the Rockrider from decathlon, leaving you some money for better tyres and those extra little bits and pieces you always need.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I've got the Boardman HT Comp, great bike and no problems at all with the gears.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2