Looking for cheap way to access internet while travelling...

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited August 2012 in The cake stop
...that doesnt involve a smart phone. I've looked at netbooks but they're a bit too much, internet cafes are few and far between these days and my basic Nokia isn't great for internet access.

Ideally it would be something about the size of a paperback (or smaller) that doesn't involve a phone contract or PAYG dongle and uses wifi rather than 3G.

Does this exist or am I on a wild goose chase??

Comments

• ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    There are plenty of Wifi compatible devices that you could use. An iPad is obviously the popular (though expensive) option. But an iPod Touch would work too.

Or how about a Google Nexus tablet with a 7" screen, think they start at about £170.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    Google Nexus 7 - the £160 8gb version would be ample. (Get in there before Apple closes down the competition in their quest for higher profits.) One recently accompanied me across France - picked up wifi well, and packed nicely in my small seatpost-mounted bag. It's easy to use and feels robust.

(See answer above!)
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    The Nexus 7 is about the closest thing to that that I can think of. Not sure whether it fits your size requirements, being about 8"x5". Wi-Fi only, tablet form, and cheaper than most smartphone handsets these days.

However, it may be worth revisiting the Wi-Fi idea depending how much travelling you'll be doing -- my employer gives us laptops with built-in 3G cards because it's a lot cheaper than paying for hotel Wi-Fi. It's also considerably more convenient and versatile, as you don't have to go searching for public access points or signing up to dozens of different services for different places.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If it is just for browsing, no need for speed, you won't have access to a wireless network and where you are going gets 3G then the Kindle with 3G & keyboard would do.
    Once you have paid for the unit, the internet is free worldwide. But slow, and in black & white. Still cheap though.
    Oh, and you can read books. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Hmm, good answers here. I like the look of the Nexus but also the free 3G access the Kindle offers. Shame you cant combine the two into one unit!
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Download a wifi sniffer app to find unprotected networks, and take it for a walk.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    I'd wait for someone who's used both to give an opinion, if you can, though I'd reckon that the superb functionality of the Nexus for little extra $ (despite the lack of 3G) would win it (but I haven't used a Kindle). I certainly think that the Nexus will cause a dent in sales of the iSmugPad, if Apple don't get worldwide injunctions to protect their obscene profits ... sorry, I mean patents.

EDIT - see above post - the Nexus seems to be pretty good at sniffing out wifi, if you go for a wander.
  • baldwin471
    baldwin471 Posts: 366
    I'd wait for someone who's used both to give an opinion, if you can, though I'd reckon that the superb functionality of the Nexus for little extra $ (despite the lack of 3G) would win it (but I haven't used a Kindle). I certainly think that the Nexus will cause a dent in sales of the iSmugPad, if Apple don't get worldwide injunctions to protect their obscene profits ... sorry, I mean patents.

EDIT - see above post - the Nexus seems to be pretty good at sniffing out wifi, if you go for a wander.

I have the Nexus 7 and a kindle3g. Get the Nexus 7. Trust me it's great. For the price you can't get better.