I'm purchasing a road bike that has the following components:

Shimano 105 front & rear derailleurs
Shimano 105 shift levers
Axis DC 1.0 front & rear breaks
10-Speed Tiagra cassette (11-28)
10 speed Tiagra chain
FSA Gossamer BB30 crankset
Wheels are DT Axis 2.0

What components should I upgrade? Would changing the tiagra cassette and chain for say an Ultegra cassette and chain make much impact to the performance? Would a dura ace chain be compatible with say an Ultergra cassette?

Thanks

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Gabbo wrote:
    What components should I upgrade? Would changing the tiagra cassette and chain for say an Ultegra cassette and chain make much impact to the performance? Would a dura ace chain be compatible with say an Ultergra cassette?
    Thanks
    Can't say for sure if a tiagra chain is any less durable than the better grades but all you're basically getting with spending more money on the ultegra/dura ace chains and cassettes is lighter weight, not performance or durability. 105 chain and even the tiagra cassette will perform as good as dura ace, just heavier. IMO you have been struck by upgraditis. Seek treatment by going out for several rides while enjoying your new bike and this condition may go away. Replace parts when worn.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Being OCD as I am, I'd have to upgrade everything non-105 so that I had a complete 105 set!

Wouldn't actually cost that much.

As for cables - Gore Ride on sealed system
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    PS I have upgradeitis!

I LOVE boxes from Wiggle ;-)
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Of course, upgradeitis is a huge part of cycling.. including the ride itself of course :D

What about those wheels? Really ought to do with an upgrade in that department! Any suggestions?
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Gabbo wrote:
    Hey guys,

Thanks

The tyres.

The rest of the bits, the cassette and chain wear out pretty quick just replace them as and when