Is Mad Cow Still An Issue In The UK?

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Diesel Dog ?
    :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I know plenty mad cows.
    Curious as to why you would ask. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • No, she stepped down in 1990, but she is still alive, so no party just yet.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Plenty of mad cows round these parts..........................
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Akirasho
    Akirasho Posts: 1,892
    No, she stepped down in 1990, but she is still alive, so no party just yet.

... and here I thought politics was only cutthroat here in the US... :roll: :mrgreen:
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    That cartoon/song sucked. Try this for funny stuff.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    2 cows are standing in a field. One turns to the other and says "are you scared of mad cow disease?"
    "Of course I'm not scared of mad cow disease," comes the reply. "I'm a hedgehog."
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,446
    johnfinch wrote:
    2 cows are standing in a field. One turns to the other and says "are you scared of mad cow disease?"
    "Of course I'm not scared of mad cow disease," comes the reply. "I'm a hedgehog."
    Respect for making that up yourself. :wink:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • TOM14S
    TOM14S Posts: 100
    Herd it...
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Only if you eat it! :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,021
    Serious reply - in short, no. You can see the figures here. The peak was in 1992 when there were 31,000 confirmed cases in England. I'm not sure what 'Others Confirmed' means, but under 'Confirmed' this year, the total is zero. The key events were a change in the way meat and bonemeal was rendered in the 1980s, allowing through the prion which caused the disease (meat and bonemeal had been used in cattle feed since the 1920s with no adverse effects), and then the banning in 1988 of the use of meat and bonemeal in cattle feed. The peak in 1992 of cases of BSE was due to the incubation period of the disease.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    seanoconn wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Respect for making that up yourself. :wink:

I'll milk it for all it's worth.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    No, she stepped down in 1990, but she is still alive, so no party just yet.

Unfortunately her Milton Friedman legacy (buzz-word) lives on, or as I would prefer to call it the national trickle down the lav economics continues..
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The place would've been in a worse state than it is if she hadn't taken over. I'll grant you tweedle dee and tweedle dum are no better than Brown or the war monger liar Blair.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    philthy3 wrote:
    The place would've been in a worse state than it is if she hadn't taken over. I'll grant you tweedle dee and tweedle dum are no better than Brown or the war monger liar Blair.

The main reason that it never got any better was because Blair was a Trojan Horse (closet money grabbing egomaniac) who with the aid of Brown continued with the same (bankrupt economics) and the me, me, me politics. Barely a fag paper between the Tories and so called New Labour for years and now look at the country. We are madly banging away trying to resurrect the same old dead donkey.
    Not as they say 'fit for purpose' and it's hard to imagine the UK in a worse state, with it's growing population of overweight, unhappy, work shy population it's difficult to see any corner in the near future helping to change events.
  • Peddle Up!
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

The main reason that it never got any better was because Blair was a Trojan Horse (closet money grabbing egomaniac) who with the aid of Brown continued with the same (bankrupt economics) and the me, me, me politics. Barely a fag paper between the Tories and so called New Labour for years and now look at the country. We are madly banging away trying to resurrect the same old dead donkey.
    Not as they say 'fit for purpose' and it's hard to imagine the UK in a worse state, with it's growing population of overweight, unhappy, work shy population it's difficult to see any corner in the near future helping to change events.

Here's an interesting summary of post-war policies
  • Is this a thread about bovine spongiform encephalopathy? I do like to see threads wander sometimes, but since I can say the words "bovine spongiform encephalopathy" is there any chance we could have a thread without Maggie Thatcher or politics generally taking over?
  • Peddle Up!
    Fair comment.

But she was a mad cow, wasn't she? :D
  • Peddle Up! wrote:
    But she was a mad cow, wasn't she? :D
    I think the country might have been a bit mad back then too. I think we probably deserved her.

There, now you've got me talking politics.

So, back to mad cow disease...

I am friends with the local butchers (I lived over the shop for a few months - there's nothing like being woken up at 7.30 by the sound of men with cleavers chopping up dead animals under your bedroom), and they were amused when a lady came in saying because she was worried about BSE, could she have a pound of mince instead.

I was a herdsman for fourteen years, right through the worst of BSE, and my herd had several cases. Bloody horrible to see animals you care for lose their minds. It's one of those cases of unintended consequences - something minor (an apparently arcane change in the way that meat & bonemeal was processed) having a unforeseen and profound effect much further down the line.
  • Peddle Up!
    Are we past the date when any large-scale human infection would become apparent?

How's Gummer's daughter, and Gummer come to that?
  • Peddle Up! wrote:
    Are we past the date when any large-scale human infection would become apparent?
    I suspect I'll be dead, or mad, before we know for sure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creutzfeld ... w_concerns - and though according to these figures there has been a marked decline in the number of cases of vCJD since 2000 (it peaked at 28 cases then), I suspect the figures are too low to make any reliable predictions.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577
    it's not an issue

beef is fine, especially the ugly bits they mince up to put in burgers, and the mechnically recovered pink slime, that's fine too

i really don't know why people keep moa, moo, mooo, MOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny