suitable crankset.

spr wheelie
spr wheelie Posts: 110
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
hey all. i need to change the chainrings on my apollo.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 0Bike%2020""&source=ppc&adtype=pla&_$ja&_$$ja=tsid:37143

and was wondering if this was suitable
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=46025

also do ineed any special tools.

cheers in advace.
sight 3 se

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If the chainrings are worn you could just replace the individual rings, although you only want something very cheap on that bike and the Alivio is an entire chainset for peanuts price. No idea if it will fit though. Not sure what brackets they use on those bikes.

Could just go into Halfords and get them to sort it out.

How much of a need is there though? Is it worn out or you just want to upgrade? If the latter, it may be better to save up for an full upgrade bike than upgrade that one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I doubt very much an apollo will have individually changeable chainrings......(in fact I know it won't).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • yeah the chainset is just one whole one. the chain was jumping off the sprocket whenever i put power down through the cranks. the chain was well worn and now ive changed that its made it slightly better, well differnt anyway but inspecting the teeth they have worn down to little pointy shark fins. if you guys can think of anything else it could be that would be great becouse althoug its only 25 quid dont want to put it into the apollo when it could go to the get a decent bike fund. was going to get halfords to sort it out but looking on there website theyve got not got any thing like as good a chainset at that price and theyd take some fitting it money.
    sight 3 se
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just go on ebay and find a square taper triple....shouldn't need to pay more than about £20 delivered.

I have a silver set off an old Giant going spare, pm me if you're interested.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.