MTB to Road

RamanSingh
RamanSingh Posts: 8
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
hey guys!,

as you can see im quite new to this bike stuff and just wanted to get some help and advice.

earlier this year i suffered a severe knee injury and have now begun my road to recovery. however my physico has advised me not to run due to impact on knees, therefore im getting back on my bike;

currently i have a erm.. Carrera Fury 08. from those 'good' old guys at halfords and am hoping to put change the tires to road. just until i can afford to buy a road bike. just wanted to know what kind of tire would be best or what i should be looking for and if its just as simple as taking the 'dirt' tire off and sticking the road tire on?

Thanks

RS

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Well, a true road tyre (if we take that to mean a road bike tyre) won't fit as road and mountain bikes have different sized wheels. Something like this, however, should suit if you get the right size. Your mountain bike probably has 26" wheels.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Yep just swap to some narrow slick tyres like City Jets. It's just for fitness so you're not too bothered about ultimate pace are you?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I put these on my mountain bike for road riding, they have been superb.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_242553
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • thanks for the replys!

@lc1981 - yeah their 26" does it matter how thick they are when sticking them onto a MTB

@DesWeller - i hope to start commuting to work,with the eventuality of getting onto a track been looking at the Dolan Pre Cursa, but wanna start off lightly, if that makes sense. been look at the City Jets. okay to start off with, right?

@♠ChumBucket♠ - there a little out of my budget, they seem great tho.
  • desweller
    You're not going to be able to transfer the tyres from your MTB to the Dolan (different diameter wheels), so yeah, the City Jets will be fine. Speed Cruisers are also supposed to be pretty good. The 1.5" tyres will be substantially faster than the 1.95" tyres, but you may want to check that your existing inner tubes will go in them.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • 964rh
    964rh Posts: 72
    I put CityJets on my Fury when I did a Leicester to Skegness ride last year.

Couldn't fault them to be honest.

Rob
  • ill be getting new tubes as they haven't been changed since new.

so if i was to get CityJets 26 x 1.5 what should i be looking at for inner tube?...

sorry about the lame questions.
  • desweller
    Inner tubes don't degrade unless they're exposed to UV, so if they're the right size and they don't leak there's absolutely no reason to change them.

If you do decide you want new tubes, you'll find that tubes are specified by valve type (i.e. Schrader or Presta), diameter (i.e. 26" or 700c - you want 26") and tyre width range (e.g. 1.5" to 2.1"). Just pick one that matches your wheels and tyres.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I've found the Schwalbe Kojack's to be a good tire for MTB rims, although you have to be careful as they are slicks, so off-roading is not an option other than a gentle jaunt down the canals. The bonus, I guess, is that they're 2.0in wide, so good for someone who's never ridden a road bike before, although 1.5's aren't that big a difference.
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Wire_Tyre