Just had my 1st off...OUCH!

Redsteveb
Redsteveb Posts: 201
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
What should have been a gentle 40 mile ride to Bath this morning has proved to be a little more painfull than anticipated. Heading out on the cycle path, following behind a cycling buddy at a steady 12-14mph, he took a bend a little too wide and caught some mud on the edge of the track.

Back wheel goes from under him and down he goes about 10 metres in front of me...it all happened in slow motion and I thought I could avoid him, but he's a big fella wearing a fluro gillet so target fixation takes over and I hit him hard...down I go like a sack of spuds...clipped into the pedals my hip and hand takes the majority of the impact.

We rise gradually to our feet to take stock of damage, both to us and the bikes. My mates got a bloody chin, hand and hip, and looks really out of it. I suggest sitting down and having a drink, but before I know it he's back on his bike and away...concussion I think causing him not to think straight. I on the otherhand feel quite sick and dizzy so take 5 minutes sat down to recover.
My mate's then calling me on the moby to say he's stopped about half a mile further up the road. Can't recall much but is heading back as his head is hurting.

Back to Bristol from where we set off and a quick cup of tea, we decide that he needs to go to A&E for a checkover. He was due to be doing a triathlon next Sunday but can't see that happening.

I've just got in and the bikes a little worse than I thought with damaged brake & gear levers on both sides (not sure how that happened as I went down on my right) but perhaps the bars twisted when I hit the deck.

Need a new pair of bib shorts (gutted as they were my favourite pair) and some new gloves too.

Damage to me isn't as bad as it looks but I think my thumb may be broken too, as it's now purple and I can't move it (any suggestions for treatment ... ice pack? welcome), I'm going to see how it is tomorrow before considering visiting the NHS Walk in Centre in town for a 2nd opinion.

Oh, well accidents will happen and it could have been worse if we were on a road rather than a cycle path. I'm off for a lie down and a cup of tea.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    ouch indeed!

tbh if i suspected a broken thumb, i'd be on the way to a&e now

icing and an anti-inflammatory should be ok, but get it looked at properly, if it *needs* treatment then waiting isn't helping
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Ow!

Best wishes for your recovery. Unfortunately if you haven't already you should check for handlebar damage; it's highly unadvisable to continue riding on bent bars...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    A&e straight away I would think...
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Could have been worse http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... W-oKg&NR=1

When you said your mate cut his chin. He was lucky, I was once talking to a dentist and he said he's seen cyclists who had lost or cracked half their teeth hitting the floor face first.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Avant
    Avant Posts: 29
    I can sympathise....

I had my first proper crash on Saturday, a friend and I had planned a 57 mile route up of over the South Downs but after an hour and a half of pouring rain we decided to cut it short so took a shortcut through the next town, as we approched a mini roundabout a car (not an Audi or even a BMW, but a manky brown Rover) decided to turn right across us with out indicating, I braked hard - said a few choice words, cliped back in to my pedals and started off briskly and then stood up. As I went to pedal on the downstroke the bike just went. I landed on my left hand side and together with the bike skidded down the road, luckily traffic in both directions stopped in good time. A couple in a Focus stopped to see if I was ok which was nice of them.

Lots of grazes but more damange to pride and the bike (same as OP - bent hood on the right hand side).

I suppose it had to happen at somepoint.
  • Redsteveb
    Thanks for the responses guys. The thumb feels a lot better today albeit very purple. I have movement but will be going to the NHS Drop in Centre to get it looked at. My mate who went down in front of me did break his thumb and has it in plaster right up to his elbow so his Triathlon is a non starter now.

A couple of pics of the damage that my wife took today:

Picture3203.jpg

Picture3200.jpg

Picture3204.jpg
  • dcomp
    dcomp Posts: 43
    Redsteveb wrote:
    What should have been a gentle 40 mile ride to Bath this morning has proved to be a little more painfull than anticipated. Heading out on the cycle path, following behind a cycling buddy at a steady 12-14mph, he took a bend a little too wide and caught some mud on the edge of the track.

Back wheel goes from under him and down he goes about 10 metres in front of me...it all happened in slow motion and I thought I could avoid him, but he's a big fella wearing a fluro gillet so target fixation takes over and I hit him hard...down I go like a sack of spuds...clipped into the pedals my hip and hand takes the majority of the impact.

We rise gradually to our feet to take stock of damage, both to us and the bikes. My mates got a bloody chin, hand and hip, and looks really out of it. I suggest sitting down and having a drink, but before I know it he's back on his bike and away...concussion I think causing him not to think straight. I on the otherhand feel quite sick and dizzy so take 5 minutes sat down to recover.
    My mate's then calling me on the moby to say he's stopped about half a mile further up the road. Can't recall much but is heading back as his head is hurting.

Back to Bristol from where we set off and a quick cup of tea, we decide that he needs to go to A&E for a checkover. He was due to be doing a triathlon next Sunday but can't see that happening.

I've just got in and the bikes a little worse than I thought with damaged brake & gear levers on both sides (not sure how that happened as I went down on my right) but perhaps the bars twisted when I hit the deck.

Need a new pair of bib shorts (gutted as they were my favourite pair) and some new gloves too.

Damage to me isn't as bad as it looks but I think my thumb may be broken too, as it's now purple and I can't move it (any suggestions for treatment ... ice pack? welcome), I'm going to see how it is tomorrow before considering visiting the NHS Walk in Centre in town for a 2nd opinion.

Oh, well accidents will happen and it could have been worse if we were on a road rather than a cycle path. I'm off for a lie down and a cup of tea.

Ive had my first off this morning too which I've just posted about so I sympathise. It was a horrible moment and I'm irritated with myself for making the mistake I did.

Anyway, lesson learned and a bit of damage to me and the bike but I'll be back out in a few days hopefully!

Hope you're ok!
  • doublem_1
    doublem_1 Posts: 266
    Sorry to hear about the accident. Never nice. I remember a light fall on the way to Bath funnily enough. I was in front of my cycling buddy and was looking behind to see where he was and to which I couldn't see him at all. Sure enough as I look back round he is right there at my 11 o' clock and we both go down hah.

Would love to know your 40 mile route as I live in Bristol too.
  • Redsteveb
    doublem_1 wrote:
    Sorry to hear about the accident. Never nice. I remember a light fall on the way to Bath funnily enough. I was in front of my cycling buddy and was looking behind to see where he was and to which I couldn't see him at all. Sure enough as I look back round he is right there at my 11 o' clock and we both go down hah.

Would love to know your 40 mile route as I live in Bristol too.

Hi mate, our ride to Bath is on the cycle path staring in St Phillips. We usually pick up the A4 London Road towards Box, and then onto Corsham. Nothing spectacular but there and back is about 40 miles or so a nice easy run with a choice of cafes in Bath for a quick coffee on the way back.
  • Redsteveb
    What I hoped was just a badly bruised thumb has proven not to be the case, as a trip to hospital revealed a break :(

Decided to have a quick pint to drown my sorrows :lol:

Picture3205.jpg

Picture3206.jpg